What would be the fastest way to connect T2 to the network

mihaid

Whilst I know the answer is wired cable, I don't know if that can be speeded up by connecting to a 1GB network switch or any other way the transfer speeds could be increased. downloading files to the computer seems to take forever.

Whilst I know the answer is wired cable, I don't know if that can be speeded up by connecting to a 1GB network switch or any other way the transfer speeds could be increased. downloading files to the computer seems to take forever.

The limitation is the box itself (transferring data is low down in the pecking order for the cpu). No matter how fast you make the link from the box to a PC it won't get any faster.

The hardware on the T2 is 100Mbps max. anyway, so it is pointless connecting to a 1Gb switch and hoping for faster, as the link will be 100, just the same as if you connect it to a 100 switch.

Last edited:
Yea, OK. You win. but at £13, a 1GB switch would probably not break the bank. Or would it?

downloading files to the computer seems to take forever.
The answer is not to wait for them - a watched pot never boils. Copying to a USB drive can be set up and left to get on with it. The drive can then be moved to the PC in next to no time ("sneakernet") and read directly. This involves no waiting, it just requires planning ahead.

Your capitalisation is all wrong - mb/S should be Mb/s (and yes, it does matter).

Your capitalisation is all wrong - mb/S should be Mb/s (and yes, it does matter).
And just what exactly is the problem with mb/S? Why does it matter so much? Yes I do know that it is not strictly correct, but in the context of this thread, it is totally unambiguous and doesn't warrant comment here. And why did you not correct my 1GB?
mihad said:
I did and it did not break the bank either. this one
Pretty much the one I was thinking of, but I found one for £12.99

Last edited:
Millibits per Seimens? At least GB makes sense, even if not correct. Of course it matters, when presented as reference material rather than general chatter.

Several times on How Stuff's Made (or whichever), when there has been electric welding going on the commentary has talked about thousands of volts rather than thousands of amps.

Millibits per Seimens?
I know that
Of course it matters, when presented as reference material rather than general chatter.
But it was not in reference material, but in general chatter. As I admit I was wrong in saying GB in post4 and 1GB in post#7 instead of 1Gb/s, then may I point our that prpr was also incorrect in using GB in post #3, so there, We can't all be perfect.

Enough already. This ain't 'The Arms'.

But it was not in reference material, but in general chatter.
Unless I am much mistaken, prpr was commenting on the stuff referred to in the wiki - if that ain't supposed to be reference material, what is it?

OOPS. In which case, I'll wind my neck in and go to bed in a huff with a suitably red face

I don't think this was just pedantry (indeed, there is plenty of that in the Hummy Arms) but it is easy to get MB/s (megabytes per second) and Mbps (megabits per second) mixed up. Since 1 MB/s = 8 Mbps the difference is significant.

Edit. While my post does not describe the above example, the take-home message is that where units are involved, capitalisation is important.

Last edited:
And just what exactly is the problem with mb/S?
Because it is technically wrong, as you well know. Ask the folks who crashed that lander on Mars about confusion over units.
Perhaps if your bank refered to your balance in pence rather than pounds one day you wouldn't be upset? They both start with 'p' so who cares which symbol is used, eh?
may I point our that prpr was also incorrect in using GB in post #3, so there, We can't all be perfect.
Yes, I admit I blindly used the incorrect terminology of the previous poster. Very sloppy. I'll fix it.
Unless I am much mistaken, prpr was commenting on the stuff referred to in the wiki - if that ain't supposed to be reference material, what is it?
Indeed.

I think something similar happened with the Hubble mirror, although both stories might be apocryphal.

Back