What's the best box?

Sirdavy

Many apologies, I'm a newb just here to ask your advice. I currently use an Humax T1000 Youview 500gb but it has become incredibly slow to navigate since the recent software update and the BBC iPlayer has just started quitting unexpectedly before playing any programmes. I need to get another box but I need some recommendations. These are my priorities.
  • a cast iron iPlayer app that works and will continue to work for the next 2-3 years. (Since my Panasonic smart TV can no longer run iPlayer because of Capitalism and Inbuilt Obsolescence).
  • As little lag as possible between pressing a button on the remote and the action happening. I hate that pregnant pause waiting for the channel to change or the cursor to move around the EPG.
  • A way to access the videos on my NAS - a QNAP which currently streams to my Panasonic TV (using er...DNLA or something).
  • All the usual recording capabilities. A method to transfer them off the box would be a bonus.
The spec of the FVP-5000T would seem to fit the bill but I’m put off but reports of sluggish UI and unreliable units. What would you recommend?

I'd like to be able to answer this. The hdr fox t2 with custom firmware comes close, but I couldn't call Ipayer cast iron and I certainly don't know if it will continue to work for the next 2-3 years. There's also no 40D Itvplayer etc.

No, you can't rely on iPlayer continuing to be available on the HDR-FOX TV Portal at all. We also have no idea how much longer it will be before the HDR-FOX hardware hits the other end of its bathtub curve - I suspect not long.

My advice continues to be get a PVR (or TV) that is the best at being a PVR (or TV) and ignore its capability or lack of regarding so called "smart" features such as support for catch up services like iPlayer.

Personally, if both my BT Youview box and my Digitalstream Freeview box both went south (I accept I don't really need both anyway given I also have a Freesat box) then I would first try to get a Fox T2 at a remaindered price.

Thanks to everyone for their advice so far. I'm now debating sticking with my current T1000 - which has become more reliable wrt iPlayer since a factory reset - and waiting to see if Humax releases an upgraded version of the 5000T that makes FOX T2 owners want to ditch their box. (Is the FOX T2 worth investing in?)

gomezz - I understand what you're saying about getting discrete pieces of technology good at doing their main job but where then should one expect iPlayer - or other such apps - to reside if not the tv or a PVR? I've considered getting an Amazon firestick but that would mean having THREE REMOTES, something I see as a step backwards in Western Civilisation.

gomezz - I understand what you're saying about getting discrete pieces of technology good at doing their main job but where then should one expect iPlayer - or other such apps - to reside if not the tv or a PVR?
Personally I use my Android tablet with a Chromecast dongle although I do have the option of connecting my laptop to the TV using a long HDMI cable I keep curled up underneath the settee and I accept that if my BT Youview box is turned on then I can use that. Another option is an Android TV box plumbed permanently into your TV/AV set up.

As far as having a clutter of remotes then you can get a Logitech Harmony remote control that can control all your TV/AV boxes although for watching using the tablet/Chromecast then all that does for me is switch the TV to the HDMI input the Chromecast dongle is plugged into and then I control programme playback using the tablet (an Android or Apple smartphone can also be used in this manner). And if you have ever struggled with the long-winded way of doing a search in iPlayer on your TV then the app on a tablet or smartphone will be a blessed relief.

Last edited:
I guess I could get a Chromecast dongle for £30 and try out the app for iPlayer and Netflix.

Has anyone got any experience of the 5000T streaming video from a NAS? Is it reliable? Can the FOX T2 do this too?

Can the FOX T2 do this too?
Stream video from a NAS? Yes, no problem - in fact I use my HDR-FOXes as NASes to serve content to the other HDR-FOXes and HD-FOXes. You may need to look out for conflicts with media servers running on the NAS (eg Twonky) which can crash the HDR-FOX, but was have ways around that.

Back