What's the weather like where you are ?

I thought that yo meant as they were higher, they would get hit first. A bit like putting a sat dish on a long pole to get nearer the sats.

I reported mine off BBC weather!

Google can do any conversions you like. Type

20 celcius in fahrenheit

into the search or address bar. It can do other units too and also sums like

today + 12 weeks

Very useful for one of my medications!

Aren't these functions borrowed from a Unix shell?

I thought that yo meant as they were higher, they would get hit first. A bit like putting a sat dish on a long pole to get nearer the sats.
No, that wouldn't flood them ... just squash them. Sheffield is on the east of the Pennines, so a big splash in the N Sea might dampen them a bit :)

The coastline was at Doncaster as recently as the last ice age.

Actually, not strictly true, the ice caused a freshwater lake to form over much of south yorks. Hornsea Mere is all that remains of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only trick you need is to think in °C, it isn't that hard. As for my elevation, I rounded it up to 200m, it is really 199m, which comes to 652 feet 10.646 inches.

The only trick you need is to think in °C, it isn't that hard. As for my elevation, I rounded it up to 200m, it is really 199m, which comes to 652 feet 10.646 inches.
It isn't that hard to think in °F either - I've done it all my life!
The newspapers switch too when it's warm enough : )

14°C 28 25.2 57.2°F

200m 220 660 656ft
Right answer, but I don't understand your strange method.
Mine was easy. 14 degrees is about 15, 15C=about 60F. 1m is about 3 feet times 200 for an approximate answer.
Bear in mind, that I am deliberately using a quick and dirty method of approximation, but being a stickler for precision, you are using an unnecessary, far more complex algorithm. Please explain.

1m is about 40". Or 3.28' more accurately. So a quick and dirty method is multiply by 3 and add on a tenth of that, ie, multiply by 3.3. So, for an elevation of 474m, 3 times 474 equals 1422, add 142 to get 1564. It really is quicker to get your browser to do the calculation!

I agree, I usually cannot tell a difference of a few °C, and if I go upstairs or stoop, there is little point in accurate altitude either.

So, quick and dirty works for me in this context, as does using the browser to do the calculation.

Ex. What is 8611m in feet and inches?

Ans. 28,251' 3.748"

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, but it's actually 39.375 inches.
And multiples of 40 inches is a bugger to change to feet even if you do know your 12 times table.

it is really 199m
199m 219 657 653ft

Right answer, but I don't understand your strange method.
I've already explained it, and as long as I (or you) can remember it, it's easy enough as a metal calculation - only involving simple multiplications and point shifting. Ditto metres to feet (add 10%, x3, subtract 1% of the original twice).

you are using an unnecessary, far more complex algorithm.
But I get much closer to the proper conversion, with very little extra effort. Whether it's unnecessary depends on what is good enough for purpose - I doubt "double it and add 30" would be very useful if you were trying to decide if somebody was running a temperature.

Last edited:
That's up to you. One can lead a horse to water...

(Yes, that ellipsis is three dots - so what!)

Manage calculator, unit converter & color codes
Get quick answers when you enter math equations or conversions in the Google Search box.

Calculator
You can use the calculator for any math problem you want to solve, like calculating the tip at a restaurant, making graphs, or solving geometry problems.

• Type your equation into the search box on google.com or
  • Search for calculator

binary prefixes: kibibytes (KiB), mebibytes (MiB)
Length ångström, Astronomical Units, ATA picas, ATA points, chains, Ciceros, cubits, Didot points, english ells, fathoms, feet and inches, flemish ells, football fields, football pitches, french ells, furlongs, Half Ironman Triathlon bikes, Half Ironman Triathlon runs, Half Ironman Triathlon swims, Half Ironman Triathlons, hands, imerial cables, IN picas, IN Points, inches, indoor track lengths, international cables, Ironman Triathlon bikes, Ironman Triathlon runs, Ironman Triathlon swims, Ironman Triathlons, itinerary stadion, kilometers, Kpc, length of a cricket pitch, light days, light hours, light minutes, light seconds, light years, marathons, meters, metres, metres, microns, miles, Mpc, nails, nautical leagues, nautical miles, Olympic Pools, Olympic stadion, Olympic Triathlon bikes, Olympic Triathlon runs, Olympic Triathlon swims, Olympic Triathlons, outdoor track lengths, Parsecs, Planck Lengths, PostScript picas, PostScript points, Rack units, rods, scottish ells, Short Course Pools, Short Course Pools, smoots, spans, Sprint Triathlon bikes, Sprint Triathlon runs, Sprint Triathlon swims, Sprint Triathlons, TeX picas, TeX points, thou, Truchet picas, Truchet points, US cables, yards
Light intensity and luminous intensity candelas, footcandles, lamberts, lumens, lux
Magnetic flux and magnetic flux density gauss, maxwells, teslas, webers
Misc dioptres, emus, katal, moles
Power British horsepower, donkeypower, HP, kilowatt, kw, Kw, metric horsepower, mw, watts
Pressure atmospheres, barries, bars, inches of mercury, inches of water, mb, millibars, millimeters of mercury, pascals, poises, pounds per square inch
Radiation dosage grays, sieverts, rads, rems
Radioactivity becquerels, curies, rutherfords
Speed kilometers per hour, KPH, meters per second, miles per hour, MPH, nautical miles per hour
Temperature C, Celsius, F, Fahrenheit, K, Kelvin, Rankine
Time centuries, days, decades, fortnights, halakim, hours, leap years, lunar cycles, lustrum, millennium, minutes, months, seconds, sidereal days, sidereal years, weeks, years
Unitless (numeric) baker's dozens, dozens, googols, great gross, gross, percent, scores
Voltage volts
Volume acre-foot, barrels of oil, beer barrels, beer firkins, beer hogsheads, beer kilderkins, board foot, board foot, bushels, cc, ccf, ci, cords, cubic centimeter, cubic centimetre, cubic feet, cubic inch, cubic kilometer, cubic meter, cubic millimeter, cups, English tierces, fluid barrels, fluid drams, fluid ounce, fluid oz., full kegs, gal., gallons, gills, Gross Register Tonnes, half barrels, hogsheads, Imperial beer barrels, Imperial bushel, Imperial bushels, Imperial dessertspoons, Imperial fluid drams, Imperial fluid ounce, Imperial fluid ounces, Imperial gallons, Imperial gills, Imperial minims, Imperial pecks, Imperial pints, Imperial quarts, Imperial tablespoons, Imperial teaspoons, km3, liters, litres, m3, minims, mm3, pecks, pints, puncheons, qt, quarter barrels, quarts, register tonne, shots, sixth barrels, sticks of butter, tablespoons, tbsp, teaspoons, tierces, tsp, wine firkins, wine rundlets
Weight amu, atomic mass units, Blintzes, butter firkins, carats, drams, earth masses, English stones, Farshimmelt Blintzes, funt, Furshlugginer Blintzes, grains, grams, imperial tons, jupiter masses, k, kilograms, lunar masses, metric tonnes, micrograms, ounces, pennyweights, pood, pounds, short tons, slugs, soap firkins, solar masses, stones, troy drams, troy ounces
Many of the above units can be used with the standard metric prefixes yocto, zepto, atto, femto, pico, nano, micro, milli, centi, deci, deca, hecto, kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta, exa, zetta, and yotta. Abbreviated units can also be used with abbreviated prefixes y, z, a, f, p, n, µ, m, c, d, da, h, k, M, G, T, P, E, Z, and Y. For example, you can use "km" for "kilometer" and "GB" for "gigabyte."

Any length unit can also be combined with a time unit to define a speed unit, such as "light-years per day."

Color Picker
You can use Color Picker to choose a color or convert from one color code to another. For example, you can convert Hex colors to RGB.

• Type your color code into the search box on google.com or
  • Search for Color Picker

So, for an elevation of 474m, 3 times 474 equals 1422, add 142 to get 1564.
473m is a bit under 500m which multiplied by three gives 1500 feet which is likely to be a tad low but close enough if you think in feet. (about 4% wrong:))
It really is quicker to get your browser to do the calculation!
Not if your computer is not on and your smartphone isn't handy and you want an approximate quick and dirty conversion.

Back