Which Youview box to get alongside a HD Fox T2?

WP53

Which Youview box to get to compliment HD-FOX-T2?

I have been quite happy with my HD-FOX-T2 with custom firmware….until recently, as the BBC iplayer no longer works due to the BBC update.

I intend to keep it however, and add a Youview box for 3 reasons

- I will have iplayer again

- Also the other players eg ITV that were never on the T2

- Instant catchup on programmes that have just started – is that on ALL channels?

- Adds a second tuner for multiple recordings.

Or course I could get most of that by just swapping to a HDR-FOX-T2 but I do want the other catchup channels and instant catchup

Thing is though – what Youview box? I have seen bad things written (including here) about the DTR T1000.

And - It certainly doesn’t have to be Humax (sorry Humax community!)

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Thing is though – what Youview box? I have seen bad things written (including here) about the DTR T1000.

And - It certainly doesn’t have to be Humax (sorry Humax community!)
I agree that the DTR-T1000 seems to have more than its fair share of hardware problems. There don't seem to be as many problems with the DTR-T2000 and the faster processor makes the user interface much nicer. The only other YouView box manufacturer that I can recollect is Huawei; we have one of their boxes (supplied free by TalkTalk) and the user interface is slow but we mainly use it for occasional catchup TV and it is OK for that. You can pick them up for less than £50 on ebay.

The BT DTR-T2100 is a decent piece of kit, which is both small and fast, but not exactly a looker, see HERE for a review.

Many thanks for the replies.
So T2100 it is... but does it support Youtube? (Youtube no longer seems to work on the HD Fox T2)

Otherwise, I could just stick with my T2 and get a Roku box - any reasons why that would not be a good idea?

Thanks

The NOW TV box (which is a basic Roku without Netflix) now has YouTube and Vevo in addition to BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD and Demand 5 plus Tune-in radio. Note that 4OD does not have as wide a range of programmes available as the YouView version of 4OD.

Another option is to use a cheap tablet that gives you unfettered access to all the catch up players and can be connected to your TV using a long HDMI cable or using a wireless dongle such as the Chromecast. I would never recommend a PVR based on what catch up services it does or does not offer but only on how good it is at being a PVR which function, sadly, the Youview range is barely adequate at meeting compared to the T2. The T2 should already be allowing you to record two things at once while letting you watch a third using the TV's own tuner.

Last edited:
But that is the point. There is no TV set available that has them all.

I don't have one myself but I thought Samsung's did and so do Panasonic's if you use FreeTime. Sony's will also get them all once Youview is integrated...

Nope. Whatever list of catch services you give I am sure I will find at least one more that is not included.

My Samsung TV has BBC iplayer, itv, 4od and whatever five calls itself. YouTube too, and Netflix and Amazon instant video.

Does anybody need catchup for junk and telemarketing channels?

Not junk if you like sport. And who said anything about restricting your choices to Freeview?

Which Youview box to get to compliment HD-FOX-T2?
I have been quite happy with my HD-FOX-T2 with custom firmware….until recently
The T2 should already be allowing you to record two things at once while letting you watch a third using the TV's own tuner.
The HD-FOX T2 can not record two things at once

the Youview range is barely adequate at meeting compared to the T2.
The Youview recorders can record two things at once and therefore in some respects is better than the HD-FOX T2 for recording.

Is Eurosport available on any free catch-up platform? If not, it's not a fair test.
We were not discussing solely free services. At least I wasn't as I did not want to saddle the OP with a solution fettered in any such way.

Back