Why [S] to denote repeat ?

Basjoe

I was just idly wondering why listings show "S" to denote reruns or repeats. What does it "S"tand for ?

Basjoe

Although they used to be indicated, nowadays repeats are quite often not highlighted as such at all in my experience

The Radio Times indicates them for the main channels, and mentions for the other channels "ALL PROGRAMMES ON THE ABOVE CHANNELS ARE REPEATS UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED". Programmes that are not repeats are flagged as "New".

Ah O.K., I was thinking more of info. on EPGs.
They sometimes make a distinction about whether something is a repeat or not, by doing it by channel e.g. although this has been repeated to death on BBC1, it is new to BBC3 or Dave

As this topic has been posted in the 'Arms, it would be fair to consider it in a context outside the standard 'Fox, Firmware, or Freeview sections (the OP could have helped by stating context). As far as I can see that means published guides such as Radio Times etc, and I'm pretty sure they don't use symbols or abbreviations without also publishing a key. However, surely it's obvious that (quoting from the Telegraph)

S = subtitles
R = repeat

and perhaps a little less obvious

AD = audio description
SL = sign language

BH1 : As far as I can see that means published guides such as Radio Times etc,
BH2 :I'm pretty sure they don't use symbols or abbreviations without also publishing a key

BH2 only applies if BH1 is correct which it may not be, asking a non Freeview related question in the Freeview forum is wrong, asking a Freeview question in 'the Arms' is perfectly O.K. and as there is less likely to be a key in an EPG than a publication, BH1 is more likely to be wrong

What is a repeat anyway? When a new programme is just an old programme repeated with a 5 minute 'revisited' bit who's to say. Yes Kevin McCloud - I'm talking about you!

I'm struggling to find an R on the Freeview EPG, but I have found examples in the programme details using S and AD. Can't find an SL either, not sure whether BBC NEWS carries a signed version of Breakfast these days.

BBC programs after midnight often have SL = Sign language e.g.

Nature's Weirdest Events
Synopsis 1/3. Chris Packham examines some of the world's weirdest natural events.
He visits the town plagued by a swarm of flying insects, meets friendly polar bears and more.
[AD,S,SL]
BBC2
Start Wed Jan 23 02:20:00 2013 GMT

ACTC = Another Chance to See
PSO... = Previously Shown On ...
ACEO ... = A Classic Episode Of ...

:)

Back