wifi stopped working

I have a wifi dongle but wifi has stopped working.....what can i check? Plugged external usb in both usb sockets and they work....dongle lights up...other devices on wifi are working...but wifi settings are greyed out and says network unavailable.

Are you saying that a Wi-Fi dongle that has worked on the Humax in the past is now not working? If so I would try the dongle on something else, a computer / laptop (with its internal Wi-Fi turned off) to see if it works on that

Er and i have another issue.......since i replaced my hard drive last week i can't access the following settings off the menu, they are all greyed out....channel list, edit channels and installation..and recording under preferences..could this be linked???? The rest of the box works ok. Recording and watching. Running custom firmware.

They are usually greyed out if the box is busy. Recording something for example.

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

Ok its working after a reboot. Back to the original problem. I tried to test the dongle on a laptop with the wifi off but it failed to install as it needed to connect to wifi to download drivers then there was a conflict! I think i need to either try to go back to a wired connection or buy another dangle assuming that's the issue...

Boy oh boy. Ordered a dongle but tonight old one is semi working...in that it sees router but can't connect. Its a normal bt home hub. Can anyone advise what the default security setting is that the humax asks for?

I world start by testing the new dongle on a computer / Laptop (with the internal Wi-Fi turned off) to prove it works, but I suspect it does. Digflex post HERE

Yes it is. I can see the home hub in the list of networks but when i try to connect it tries for a minute or so then fails. All i can think is the security type isn't right but it always defaults to the same one. I know the password is correct

The custom firmware will have nothing to do with it. Some people do experience lots of problems with WiFi dongles, and I recommend cable or HomePlug, or (at a push) TP-Link 702.

I agree with Black Hole. It's nothing to do with the Custom Firmware. WiFi dongles do seem to be more trouble than they are worth. Again, as BH says, cable (direct Ethernet), or HomePlugs are the way to go.

Ok thanks for your input guys, router is too far away from the box for cable so i guess i will just connect it up periodically for any updates or tinkering i need.

Homeplugs are hideous things. Just get a wireless access point/client router (I got a TP-Link WR743). It's cable to the Humax and then wireless to the rest of your network. Performs the same function as using a wireless adapter on the Humax without most of the hassle ('most' as in the 743 occasionally crashes and needs a power cycle).

Homeplugs are hideous things.
In your opinion, as if your opinion has to be everybody's opinion. "I think HomePlugs are hideous things" would be more acceptable.

I think HomePlugs are a useful solution according to circumstances. The hideous ones don't include a mains pass-through socket.

In your opinion, as if your opinion has to be everybody's opinion. "I think HomePlugs are hideous things" would be more acceptable.

I think HomePlugs are a useful solution according to circumstances. The hideous ones don't include a mains pass-through socket. .
Don't you mean "I think The hideous ones don't include a mains pass-through socket" :)

Back