will HDR-Fox-T2 connect to a wifi network without DHCP

MikeSh - My HDR, also on 1.02.32, simply doesn't do this. I am beginning to wonder if there is some incompatibility with the dongle I'm using, Edimax EW-7711USn. If I go into Internet Settings (this is with Ethernet unplugged and the dongle plugged in) then "Configure LAN" does not become "Configure LAN(Wifi)". The setting name stays exactly the same. When I've got the Ethernet plugged in I set the following values under "Configure LAN" - Configure IP = Manual, IP Address = 192.168.2.150, Netmask = 255.255.255.0, Gateway Address = 192.168.2.1, DNS Address = 194.72.9.34 . When I disconnect the Ethernet and plug in the dongle I go to "Internet Settings" and "Configure Wi-Fi" is no longer greyed out but the name of the setting hasn't changed to "Configure LAN(Wifi)".
I think you have to reboot the HDR after disconnecting the wired ethernet and plugging the wireless dongle in.
The settings available under "Configure Wi-Fi" are "Network Name", "Security Type" and "Password" but nothing else.
That's correct - the IP address is a LAN setting.
If I enter the correct values here it will not connect. If I now go back to "Configure LAN" to check the IP numbers, they have changed. The values are as follows - Configure IP = Manual, IP Address = 192.0.2.100, Netmask = 255.255.255.0, Gateway Address = 0.0.0.0, DNS Address = 194.72.9.34 . In other words, the IP Address has changed and the Gateway Address has changed. If I change them back to what I believe are the correct values then I cannot "Apply" the changes because I get an error message which says the Ethernet is unplugged, which is of course true.

Ezra Pound - I agree when you say "...if the wired LAN has a Manual / DHCP option on the Humax, wouldn't you expect the Wi-Fi setting to have the same option?" That's what I was expecting too but I cannot see any way to set wifi manual IPs on my HDR. Seems pretty strange.

As above, are you rebooting?

Do you Really need Evidence?
How do we know that most routers do this? It is accurate to say that some routers do this, or many routers do this, or "most routers in my experience" do this - but "most" is an absolute and cannot be substantiated without an exhaustive survey.

Re nit-picking, I suggest you check post 8 - where criticism was levelled without evidence.

How do we know that most routers do this? It is accurate to say that some routers do this, or many routers do this, or "most routers in my experience" do this - but "most" is an absolute and cannot be substantiated without an exhaustive survey.

Re nit-picking, I suggest you check post 8 - where criticism was levelled without evidence.
We can set up a poll of members routers if you like.

Sure, why not. At least then there will be hard data to back up what was originally a stab in the dark.

In general, authors should refrain from using absolute terms when they have no data to back them up.

Perhaps somebody who knows the ins and outs of WiFi can confirm: it would not surprise me if WiFi uses its own addressing scheme, and IP addresses as seen on the wired side of the network are actually proxies assigned by the WiFi access point.

Wifi is basically just ethernet over wireless. Aside from having to select the network (by name) which is much the same principle as plugging a wired setup into the right hole, and putting in the security type and password, it works just the same. The LAN IP address pool serves both wired and wireless indiscriminately (by default). In fact the attached devices table in my router doesn't even tell you what connection is involved - just the device IP, name and MAC address.

Sure, why not. At least then there will be hard data to back up what was originally a stab in the dark.

I'd be quite surprised to find a modern router that didn't allow selection of the DHCP range. I suppose some of the really basic ones handed out as part of your ISP 'start-up' package might not have it, but I don't think any of the ones I've ever had have lacked it.

Fair enough, but that is still opinion and not indisputable fact. Can we deal in facts please?

BTW, it seem likely to me that there are a large number of WiFi routers in use that were handed out by the ISP - including mine. How many users bother to upgrade?

For reference, my O2 router is a Thompson TG585 and it's DHCP pool is 192.168.1.64 to .253 (the info is buried a long way down in the settings). Whether that can be changed is obscure, it appears one has to add a new range rather than edit the existing one. Much easier to set an existing DHCP allocation to never expire (infinite lease time), or use 1-63 as manual assignments. Devices connected by WiFi are listed separately from those connected by Ethernet.

BTW, it seem likely to me that there are a large number of WiFi routers in use that were handed out by the ISP - including mine. How many users bother to upgrade?
I am currently on my Fourth modem/router, and can say for certain that my current Netgear, and previous Belkin both allow selection of the DHCP range.

We can set up a poll of members routers if you like.

Well, I hate to nitpick but that would only cover the routers of the members who bothered to vote, which would also be those who had a clue what a DHCP pool was in the first place which would skew the answers toward 'most'.
And since the original 'most' seemed to refer to routers in general (ie. in the world) a local poll wouldn't provide a definitive answer to that dispute.
So 'dealing in facts' can be a lot harder than it might appear.

Well, I hate to nitpick but that would only cover the routers of the members who bothered to vote, which would also be those who had a clue what a DHCP pool was in the first place which would skew the answers toward 'most'.
And since the original 'most' seemed to refer to routers in general (ie. in the world) a local poll wouldn't provide a definitive answer to that dispute.
So 'dealing in facts' can be a lot harder than it might appear.
That's fine, I agree with you.;) At the end of the day, I'm sure that Most members couldn't care less one way or the other.:)

Edit: I don't have any Evidence to back this up.;)

Come on now people. This is starting to read like some dialogue from "The Big Bang Theory", not that there's anything wrong with that. I am extremely grateful and have learned a lot about DHCP ranges etc. I'll try MikeSh's suggestion of re-booting at the critical moment and look into buying some HomePlugs. I am stunned by the work and ingenuity that has gone into the modified firmware and the web interface for the HDR Fox T2. I have a rudimentary knowledge of linux so I'll try out some of the packages. I wonder if the asymmetry in the configuration abilities of the HDR is down to the fact that while it has an ethernet adaptor hard-wired in it does not have a wi-fi adaptor. Dunno. Anyway, thanks a bunch.

Wi-Fi does seen to have been put on the back burner, so to speak. The DTR1000 was launched with no Wi-Fi even though it was a YouView requirement, I'm not sure if they have added it since, but it does seem to be something that Humax places at the bottom of their list of priorities

The one you spent some time persuading the moderators (presumably one of the few you haven't offended yet) to remove
Why is that? Because it was you who twisted arms to add it in the first place?? Even kept a screen shot in case the decision was reversed on appeal.

All I had to do was prove it wasn't me who started the argument. If anyone is offended by facts and accuracy I'm sorry for them, as I am sorry for anyone who would rather quibble than accept there is room for improvement.

I am now wirelessly connected thanks to Black Hole's suggestion in Post 6. I got into the router and turned on DHCP with a range starting from 192.168.2.200 so that it misses all my manually set IPs (which are below 200). Then I plugged the ethernet into the HDR and went to Settings>System>Internet Setting>Configure LAN and toggled 'Manual' to 'DHCP' and entered the appropriate IP numbers and clicked 'Apply'. It connected OK. Then I put the HDR into standby, unplugged the ethernet, plugged in the dongle and powered up again. Back in 'Configure LAN' I was relieved to see that the DHCP setting had been remembered although the HDR's IP and the Gateway IP had reverted to default values. I went to 'Configure Wi-Fi' and forced it to locate my Wi-Fi again and put in the security type and password, then I clicked 'Apply'. After 3 attempts it connected and I got a message confirming connection via Wi-Fi. When I went back 'Configure LAN' the name had indeed changed to 'Configure LAN(Wi-Fi)' as MikeSh said it would, and the HDR had written in the appropriate IPs. The connection speed is reported as 135 Mbps. So, it's all good!

I solved this (Devolo) by converting my Humax DHCP setting to manual (with a no-expire allocation at the router). When DHCP was in use, whether my 'FOXes connected to the network at boot was hit-and-miss.
My Humax is also set to manual but I'm not clear how this would solve the sleep issue with the Devolos - it didn't for me. The problem seemed to be that they took so long to wake up that the Humax concluded there was no network connection and gave up. Maybe the wake up time is a bit variable between units.

Back