will HDR-Fox-T2 connect to a wifi network without DHCP

In my experience, ALL routers have this facility. This is the result of a survey of 5 routers, two of which are identical:)

Me too - the last three routers I've had offered this facility. There may be routers out there that don't, but I'd be happy to wager that the vast majority of current models do.

Getting back on-topic, I think there is a point being missed here that merits explanation for less technically-aware members.The OP appears to be surprised/frustrated that when he switches between ethernet and wireless his IP address etc is lost - but that is to be expected.

It's a commonly-held misconception that every network-connectable device (PC, laptop, smartphone etc) has a unique ID known as its MAC address. For most purposes this is a reasonable, simple explanation that helps people to understand what's going on. However, it is factually incorrect. A more factually correct statement is that every network adapter has a unique MAC address.

In this instance the OP is using 2 separate network adapters - the fixed ethernet adapter that's built into the T2 and an Edimax wireless adapter.
A router never actually talks to the T2 - it talks to the network adapter. So, in this instance the router will see the adapters as 2 separate, un-related pieces of kit. It will never know that they are attached to the same T2.

I hope this explanation will be of use to some readers.
Sometimes it's too easy to assume that others understand what is 'basic knowledge' to oneself.

Why is that? Because it was you who twisted arms to add it in the first place?? Even kept a screen shot in case the decision was reversed on appeal.

All I had to do was prove it wasn't me who started the argument. If anyone is offended by facts and accuracy I'm sorry for them, as I am sorry for anyone who would rather quibble than accept there is room for improvement.
I can assure you that there was No arm twisting involved.

For reference, my O2 router is a Thompson TG585 and it's DHCP pool is 192.168.1.64 to .253 (the info is buried a long way down in the settings). Whether that can be changed is obscure, it appears one has to add a new range rather than edit the existing one.
The DHCP server pool settings on the TG585 can be an absolute PITA to change. Even trying to nail-up a lease for a device can be problematical. I always end up saving the configuration to a file, editing that file to change the settings, and then restoring the configuration from that file. That works for me, my pool starts at .32 now. The most recent TG585 I have is from BE, and their helpdesk say that the DHCP pool can't be changed - well it can, but not from either the web UI or the telnet UI :-(

The DHCP server pool settings on the TG585 can be an absolute PITA to change. Even trying to nail-up a lease for a device can be problematical. I always end up saving the configuration to a file, editing that file to change the settings, and then restoring the configuration from that file. That works for me, my pool starts at .32 now. The most recent TG585 I have is from BE, and their helpdesk say that the DHCP pool can't be changed - well it can, but not from either the web UI or the telnet UI :-(
My Netgear DG834 doesn't accept MAC addresses which don't start with 00 via the web interface for DHCP reservation, which is a right PITA these days. I ended up doing the same as you...

Here's a coincidence - that's one of the bugs I fixed in my modified DGTeam firmware for the DG834....
http://www.adsb.co.uk/software/DGTeam/
Interesting. I tried DGTeam a few years ago and it broke more things than it fixed. It also completely changed the (original buggy) VPN stuff and made it unusable for site-site links. I reverted to standard after a very short while and gave up on it. Are you saying you have the source and a usable build environment to be able to modify and fix things or what? I thought those Italian folks never released it...?

Are you saying you have the source and a usable build environment to be able to modify and fix things or what? I thought those Italian folks never released it...?
I don't have the source (DGTeam didn't release source for their later versions), but I do have a build environment (for those models which use the MIPS cpu in big endian mode).

Back