Windows 10!!

I don't use it much, but I quite like it (WMC in Win7) - for playing DVDs that is.

Last edited:
Went onto the vlc site and downloaded version 3.00.0 ...

VLC official release is still 2.2.1 so I presume you picked up one of the nightly builds?
Having been bitten by W10, I presume that you trust VLC :) (I admit, I would probably agree).

I tried it on the laptop deliberately as well as the PC where it trapped me into upgrading. It appears to work OK - no obvious bugs or maloperation - but handling of multiple users is truly awful. In addition it has a number of unwanted features like Onedrive which are foisted into the system and basically impossible to remove (I think it can be done with some registry hacking) and you can't go for long without effectively being forced to put a password on an admin account.

So for us the new/additional features over W7 are mostly a nuisance, and the loss/change-for-the-worse of features we were comfortable with is an even bigger nuisance. At this point there really seemed no point in staying with it and I used the reversion feature within W10 to go back to W7. I'm pleased to say that seems to have worked well. The only catch is that you quickly get the "Get Win10" nag icon in the tray again and you have to jump a couple of hoops to remove the offending KB and then hide the update that tries to reinstall it before it does that.

This is depressing (about W10).

I currently have a 4 year old W7 desktop. I recently had to replace the HDD but otherwise it is working perfectly, and a 10 year old IBM Thinkpad R51 (XP/Xubuntu dual boot) which still works fine, though is little used these days.

I've been thinking about getting a new laptop, partly to retire the 10yr old Thinkpad R51, and had thought that (going by Microsoft's pattern of releases) W10 would probably be OK. However, it looks like I might as well get a laptop with W7 installed, especially as I rather like W7. As I said previously, these are readily available from online suppliers (and manufacturers), with W7 pre-installed through W8 downgrade rights.

After my experience with my old Thinkpad I am tempted to get another Thinkpad, even though they are more expensive than most other brands.

Incidentally, I recently unearthed a a 20+ year old IBM Model M keyboard from the back of a cupboard and started using it - WHAT a difference compared with the standard modern keyboad - the IBM Model M is superb!

I'm waiting at least six months.

I can't imagine a universe where Microsoft fixed the things I don't like about W10 in 6 years, never mind 6 months :)

Given how many millions of devices have upgraded to W10 I'm amazed at the low level of reported problems ('none' would have been suspicious in fact), so credit is due to MS for making a pretty solid system from the get-go.

I'm sure it is a solid system, and for people where Win10 is their first experience of computers they won't know any different. The problem is that those of us with longer experience are used to the idea that we should have control.

I do agree with selectortone that it is best to wait for at least six months after a new OS is released before "upgrading" to it (if you want to do that). There are always bugs in any new OS once it gets out into the wild, however well it has been tested.

I'm always amazed at how so many people just take the plunge immediately. After all an OS should just something that enables you to work productively with the software of your choice, not some glorified new gizmo.

^^ Agree also. For the most part the difference from W7 to W10 for a mouse & keyboard PC seemed little different except for the glorification aspect. I suspect though that for W8 users with a touchscreen there may be a much improved experience in W10, but I've not actually seen a report on that.

By the by this popped into the news this morning:
http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...iable-data-microsoft-despite-privacy-settings
MS are definitely trying to emulate Google - give it away free and then monetize the data you can grab. Unfortunately MS have spent years trying to tell people they don't do that sort of thing except to benefit their users ( :roflmao: ), whereas regardless of what Google say (and they don't try very hard anyway) everyone knows Google use your data and thus deal accordingly.

No wonder I have stuck with XP for so long! :)
Unfortunately, when my computer disk next fails I'll have to upgrade (2.5" EIDE's unavailable). This has me worried. Win 10 and mandatory automatic updates. Nooooo! :eek:
When I bought my computer I thought it was MY computer not Microsoft's. I should decide whether I want to update the system, not them. Of course, if you are using a computer at work and the policy is you must update, then fine - so long as the company is paying for the internet connection. Unless Microsoft are going to pay for my broadband connection I don't want them downloading dodgy updates without my consent. Even worse that they have updated their EULA to say automatic updating is a condition of using Windows. :mad:

It appears there may be ways to stop some of the automatic updates (check Google "Windows 10 stop automatic updates downloads" and look for metered connections). Also there is supposed to be a Microsoft tool that worked for preview versions of Win 10 and allowed you to block some installations. Personally, I'd see if I could turn off the "Automatic Updates" service if I had Win 10! :sneaky:
Windows 10 :poop: ?

What about my firewall idea? Is Win10 suddenly going to stop working if it can't phone home??

I'll stick with a virtualised Win7 inside Linux as my development plan.

Flagging the network connection as a metered one is simpler and should stop the updates. I'm more concerned about how to stop windows 10 from installing in the first place although I've found a few things to try.

FWIW, Windows 8.1 on a touchscreen laptop is pretty nice although I do find myself using <windows>+X a lot to bring up the useful system menu to find things. I'm sure my kids will upgrade to 10 in the next few days so I'll have a play then but I can't afford to upgrade my main business machine and risk problems or key accounting apps not working, although I do have a backup VM around just in case.

I'm more concerned about how to stop windows 10 from installing in the first place although I've found a few things to try.
There are several guides to getting rid of the W10 upgrade 'nag' icon. I used this one, though it's not perfect:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system
Basically you have find and uninstall update KB3035583 (the description of which would not give you any clue about it's actual job). Then of course it will reappear in your list of available updates (pre-checked) at which point uncheck it and then hide it, so the system remembers it's been seen and discarded. It seems to have worked on the 3 machines we have.

Anyway, back to the original question....

Did the op install the latest version of vlc? That hasn't done Upnp properly for ages.

I'm running the same old version (2.0.8?) on W10 as I had on Win8.1 and it works perfectly.

(The built in player does better in W10 - it now plays the video but no sound, on win 8 it just said can't play)

Oh and I have win 10 on most of my machines, all good so far, but I've only used to do work so not pushed all is features yet.

Not sold on edge yet, switched straight back to chrome for browsing......

VLC is a bug-ridden pile of :poop:
Unfortunately seems to be the only thing that half works on my pc (XP). Badly worded! The only video player, I mean.
What about my firewall idea? Is Win10 suddenly going to stop working if it can't phone home??
I would hope not. What if you'd bought a Win 1o PC (perhaps because your previous PC failed and you've got loads of software for a Windows PC) and you wanted to do serious number crunching work and you never wanted to connect it to the net. You just want to load your preferred software, some data and simulate the end of the world. If Win 10 can't pretend to be ET and :poop:'s out in the middle of a long simulation - you could argue your PC wasn't fit for purpose. More likely someone could argue that you didn't pick the right computer (perhaps I mean OS) for your needs.

When I bought my computer I thought it was MY computer not Microsoft's.
It is your computer, but if you load their operating system, then they think that gives them control over everything. So don't load their OS if you want control.

It is your computer, but if you load their operating system, then they think that gives them control over everything. So don't load their OS if you want control.
Never that easy though, is it? If you've got plenty of usable software that you've 'acquired' over the years you might want to be able to carry on using them. Why should I buy or try to acquire alternative versions to run under another OS? There must be ways for us users to take control and stick a finger or two up to Microsoft!

I'll stick with a virtualised Win7 inside Linux as my development plan.
I know nothing about doing this - but it sounds like a good solution. But is a virtual Win xx inside Linux slower/much slower than Win xx? Can it access USB devices? Can it be prevented from accessing the internet?

If you don't want to 'upgrade' to windows 10, then uninstall the update that nags you to download it. There's plenty of stuff on how to do this if you Google it. The 'problem' then goes away. (You have to hide the update though so that it doesn't re-install)

Back