Windows version of offline decryption (HFODU)

If I remember correctly, the TS files stored on a YouView box (standard definition only) are not encrypted and can be copied easily using Ubuntu (or similar). As for the the high definition content, this is encrypted but I don't know how the key is generated.
As @bottletop said above though, this utility is not intended for YouView files.
The YouView files are in TS format (rather than m2ts) and that alone would prevent file decryption.
As I said above, I've posted to the wrong group, Freeview not Freesat. However, I can assure you that the YouView HD files are encrypted even though they end in .ts, and are not playable except in the box. I have not encountered m2ts files so presumably they are the encrypted ones in the Humax Freeview box.

As I said above, I've posted to the wrong group, Freeview not Freesat. However, I can assure you that the YouView HD files are encrypted even though they end in .ts, and are not playable except in the box. I have not encountered m2ts files so presumably they are the encrypted ones in the Humax Freeview box.
Freeview or Freesat is immaterial, the decryption utilities are for HDR-FOX and HD-FOX recordings only (the only units for which the encryption has been investigated and the key derivation determined).

M2TS is the technical description of the container format used to save recordings in the HDR-FOX and HD-FOX .TS files. It differs from strict TS. Utilities for HDR-FOX/HD-FOX are likely to reject ".TS" files which are not M2TS.

Last edited:
As I said above, I've posted to the wrong group, Freeview not Freesat. However, I can assure you that the YouView HD files are encrypted even though they end in .ts, and are not playable except in the box.
Where did I say that YouView HD (high definition) files are not encrypted?

It’s been a long time since I looked at this. The program is based on information provided by af123 and the keys only apply to the Freeview boxes that custom firmware could be used on - HDR/HD FOX. It will not work on files from any other box, not even the 1800T/2000T. Although the files are stored in the same way as the Fox, the encryption key has been formulated in a different way and hasn’t been discovered.
I have no idea what the file structure is on a Youview box or whether the encryption key is discoverable.
From memory, the error reported (file is not a Humax .ts) is slightly misleading - it probably should say not in m2ts format! The fact that the Youview format appears to be strict ts as pointed out by MontysEvilTwin would be enough to generate the error. As others have said, this program is not suitable for decrypting HiDef material from a Youview box.

Last edited:
The most recent version that processes files individually is in post #20.
A new version that allows multiple files to be selected is in post #55.
Edit: 11 February 2019
Encryption tool HFOEU is at post #99.
Please include links direct to the relevant posts.

Hi all.
I wonder if anyone can help me. I went into the Webif and downloaded a file that has the ENC logo on it. When downloaded it obviously doesn't play.

I have run HFODU2.jar, entered the MAC address of my box (found in the remote scheduling web page) and the serial number (taken from webif).
I then select the relevant .TS file and click decrypt. I immediately get a message saying "File is not Humax .ts" everytime and I can't work out what I am doing wrong.
Can anyone help?

Thanks

I then select the relevant .TS file and click decrypt. I immediately get a message saying "File is not Humax .ts" everytime and I can't work out what I am doing wrong.
Not sure what's going on, but it seems like your download process has corrupted the file.

Can anyone help?
Do you still have that recording on the box? If so, it's easiest to deal with it there and then re-download.

In the WebIF, click the OPT+ button alongside the relevant recording and select "Decrypt". "ENC" does not mean the file is (just) encrypted, it means it is protected from decryption (by non-CF processes). I think I am correct in saying that the current CF will use software decryption in that case.

However, it is usual to have the auto-unprotect package installed to remove the ENC flag from all recordings by routine. Recordings still need decrypting though, and that can be done by clicking the OPT+ button alongside My Video and select "Recursive Auto-Decrypt" (or just decrypt individual files as required).

Recordings which have been decrypted have the "DEC" flag.

So long as the recording is not protected, downloading (from WebIF) even an encrypted recording invokes a decryption mechanism so you don't need to subsequently decrypt the download.

Decryption Guide (click)

That error occurs if there isn't a sync byte in the data in the correct place for the first ten frames. It is a crude test to check that the sync bytes are 192 bytes apart (rather than 188), which is how Humax store the data. An error also occurs if the 5th byte in the file isn't the sync byte. Maybe I misunderstood the format, but the check seems to have worked so far. Whether the file is encrypted or decrypted is tested elsewhere and gives a different error.
Without a hex dump of a few hundred bytes or a few seconds of the original file, I can't comment further. (Too much like hard work, so don't bother). I'd try stripts and see if that works.

Back