Windows version of offline decryption (HFODU)

A big thank you from me too.
Have a HD-T2 box with unwatched recordings on external HDD. The box no longer functions with the HDD but I am now able to watch the recordings on other devices.
Thanks also to numerous other posters on the forum who have helped a non technical person with copying from the EXT3 formatted hard drive and helped me down the right path.

Am I right in thinking that af123 has a (probably) simpler command-line based tool that does the same job?

Am I right in thinking that af123 has a (probably) simpler command-line based tool that does the same job?
Not that I've tried it, but what's not simple about the off-line utility?

For information: unless one particularly needs to use a PC to do the decryption, software decryption (as opposed to hardware-assisted decryption) is directly accessible to queue through the WebIF - very useful for HD-FOX.

I may be getting confused. :confused:
There have been a couple of people who have had problems with their FOX. They've used HFODU to get their recodings back ("It's only television!").
I'd got the impression that there was a PC version of (probably) stripts that would do the same job and may be easier to use than HFODU - or maybe not.
I'm happy to take the thanks of anyone who finds HFODU useful :thumbsup:, but if stripts for windows exists it may be easier to use. :whistling:

but what's not simple about the off-line utility?
If you are referring to HFODU - loading up the Java runtime. ;)

Last edited:
Hi, I am having trouble decrypting..........
Just for info I have FTP'd files from HDR Fox T2 to my Windows 10 PC and located in the Java64 directory as below.
Have installed Java 64 from Portable Apps - I have in my users\download\commonfiles\java64 folder.
Have added java64\bin folder to my path.
I have my MAC and Serial Number - s.n 63 7104787 00***
So, I assume my S/n is 36333731303437383730 - ie first 10 digits in Hex
Now, when I run javaw -jar HFODU.jar I get the box to enter/change MAC 7 Serial, however the serial number box won't allow all the 10 hex digits only 7 - ie up to 36333731303437.

When I press the decrypt button - I see a box flas up with something red but dissapears after micro seconds so cannot read it , follwed by the box saying This file is not decrpting, Has the file been decryped already, Check MAC and Serial Numbers

Tried with several different recordings - all the same result.

Thought I'd cracked it by editing the ini file with the full 10 hex code but still fails.

Here is the latest Log file

10:57:38 INFO: Humax 'FOX' Offline Decrytion Utility (HFODU V2.0b) - Java Version: 1.8.0_251
10:57:50 INFO: Using MAC: DC-********-87, Serial: 36333731303437383730
10:57:50 INFO: Processing 1 files.
10:57:50 INFO: Decrypting: C:\Users\Nigel\Downloads\CommonFiles\Java64\ABBA_ Live In Concert_20171218_2305.ts
10:57:56 WARNING: File not decrypting - check status/MAC/SN
10:58:11 INFO: Using MAC: DC-********-87, Serial: 36333731303437383730
10:58:11 INFO: Processing 1 files.
10:58:11 INFO: Decrypting: C:\Users\Nigel\Downloads\CommonFiles\Java64\Johnny English Reborn_20140706_2000.ts
10:58:13 WARNING: File not decrypting - check status/MAC/SN
10:58:37 INFO: Program exiting normally

So, can someone throw any light on what the issue might be?

So, can someone throw any light on what the issue might be?
The serial number has to be literally your serial number (in as much as the lines in the log file stating serial number are clearly not). The decryption key is a combination of elements from the serial number and the MAC, which I presume HFODU computes for you.

If you were asked for the decryption key, then you would have to compute it for yourself.

Last edited:
Oh dear, such a long time since I last visited this tool, so I'm having a problem remembering it myself.
Without digging into the guts of the routine, I think Black Hole is correct.
You need the serial number - which is just numbers, and the MAC which is stated in hex.
You appear to have found the hex translation of your serial number - which appears to start 637104... Enter that in the serial number box NOT 363337313034...

If you can't get it working there is an alternative Windows strips.exe file that you can use by af123 :-
It should work. I think the confusion is caused by one tool wanting the serial number in hex and the other wanting just the number. Anyway, you pays your money (£0 or £0) and takes your choice.

As is so frequently the case: a question is posed and answered, and then no report of success or failure.

Thanks for all your replies and comments - yes I did get confused between straight serial number and converting it to Hex and many thanks to Black Hole for pointing me in the right direction.
And yes, I did get it to work, decrypted around 30% of important recordings so far on the day after your reply, but have been away from the PC until yesterday, when I have also upgraded the disk in the Humax HDR Fox T2 to 1Gb and removed the orange filter.
Finally, apologies for not responding sooner to report success or failure but have been away from my PC location.

Yes. The "problem" is that I expected anyone who was changing the key in their Humax would not need a Windows version of decryption. As in - you have CF why would you be decrypting off the box in Windows?
I designed the program to only allow hex digits for the MAC and 0-9 (ASCII 30-39) for the serial number - not expecting the all zeros!
I am uploading (yet) another version which now allows you to have an all zero key. Press the Change button and tick the use zero key box. This is a special case - I don't think I'll be adding in a facility for entering any other non-standard key!
I've also taken the opportunity to add in an option to overwrite existing files or produce a new generation of the file (ie. a.ts, a(1).ts, a(2).ts etc.). Use the Edit menu to tick/untick the Overwrite Files option. I also changed the behaviour of the program back to the original "delete files on error". But, you will see another tick/untick option on the Edit menu "Tidy on error" which allows you to turn off this feature.
I am trying to use your java program to decrypt some files that I recorded before I installed the custom firmware that stops files being encrypted. I get an error message saying "File is not Humax ts". If I try it on a non-encrypted file I get a message saying it's not geting decrypted - has this file been decrypted already? I can play all the unencrypted files on my laptop, but my three encrypted files just show a black screen while playing.

My ultimate aim is to decrypt files on the HDD of a non-working BT YouView box (innards by Humax). I note that on both machines the accompanying .nts files have different initial bytes for unencrypted and encrypted files respectively, so perhaps they have something to do with decryption?

I am trying to use your java program to decrypt some files that I recorded before I installed the custom firmware that stops files being encrypted. I get an error message saying "File is not Humax ts". If I try it on a non-encrypted file I get a message saying it's not geting decrypted - has this file been decrypted already? I can play all the unencrypted files on my laptop, but my three encrypted files just show a black screen while playing.

My ultimate aim is to decrypt files on the HDD of a non-working BT YouView box (innards by Humax). I note that on both machines the accompanying .nts files have different initial bytes for unencrypted and encrypted files respectively, so perhaps they have something to do with decryption?
There may be a misunderstanding there somewhere. I think this utility if for files created by HD-FOX-T2/HDR-FOX-T2.

If I remember correctly, the TS files stored on a YouView box (standard definition only) are not encrypted and can be copied easily using Ubuntu (or similar). As for the the high definition content, this is encrypted but I don't know how the key is generated.
As @bottletop said above though, this utility is not intended for YouView files.
The YouView files are in TS format (rather than m2ts) and that alone would prevent file decryption.

Last edited:
Back