Windoze 10 update

D

Deleted member 473

I was feeling quite pleased. My larger laplet accepted the update and everything was fine. I then did my wife's laptop without incident.

Then I came to my small laplet, a 10" screen tablet with 64Gb SD and detachable keyboard. Computer says no. I usually got the same error code, but Microsoft were no use, nor online fora. One error message from M$ (there are many ways to update to 10 creative edition) said that it could not run W10, which is odd, because it already was running W10!

So, finally, I gathered that it was a partitioning problem, that the recovery partition was too small. Fixing that led nowhere, with an encrypted drive there is no way to resize the partitions.

I had to reinstall and delete all existing partitions, using an image downloaded from M$. Then things got really weird. The usb socket is on the keyboard, so I had to keep that attached, and during installation there was no touchscreen or g sensor, nor wifi. Unfortunately, the screen defaulted to portrait.

I am quite capable of operating an astronomical telescope or microscope, where you move left to go right, etc, but this was a totally new experience. To go right, you move the mouse up, and go up you move the mouse left. Landing on input fields and buttons was a random adventure.

Eventually, W10 was installed, but still without anything but a keyboard and a portrait screen, so thank you Powerline for rescuing me and providing internet until I had updated drivers on 20 odd unknown devices. Gradually, my screen flipped to landscape, acquired its touch sensitivity, wifi returned, and all the other sensors started functioning again.

All I then had to do was reinstall programs, reestablish network mappings, and generally get things back how they were. Only one wasted day!

Oh, and that recovery partition is now large enough, for now.

What a pain. I'm surprised it 'only' took a day. Watch out for the next update. Can you not make a disc image so that you can at least 'get it back to how it was'?

What a pain. I'm surprised it 'only' took a day. Watch out for the next update. Can you not make a disc image so that you can at least 'get it back to how it was'?
Will do. I am not so keen on encrypting the drive now, though.

I did that one myself, on recommendation. If someone nicks your device they can read the drive, otherwise.

But, judging by your experience, if you encrypt the device it can't update properly.
Which would I rather do, keep my data secure or let Microsoft update my device...........?
(Déjà vu all over again, I think I gave my views on Microsoft wanting to update my PC - without my permission - somewhere on here once before)

I think that you probably gave MS the required permission when you updated to W10?

I didn't (update, that is).
I'm sure there are ways to stop the updates. If ever I get W10, I'll look into it.
Wasn't there a campaign recently that said "take back control"? That's my view whenever I get a computer - I want control.

But, judging by your experience, if you encrypt the device it can't update properly.
Which would I rather do, keep my data secure or let Microsoft update my device...........?
(Déjà vu all over again, I think I gave my views on Microsoft wanting to update my PC - without my permission - somewhere on here once before)
It seems as though if you encrypt and the original partition was wrong, you can't update. This was a tabtop with only 64Gb of storage, and I took the free W10 upgrade, then encrypted it. Anyway, after the clean install, it runs much better.

The other tabtop was a much larger affair and maybe partitioned correctly as it has a 1Tb SSD.

You can get access to the boot partition with a cmd prompt, with a bit of effort, and it was full. I deleted all the unused language folders snd it was still too small.

1. Right-click the Command Prompt icon and select the option to run it as Administrator.
  2. In the Command Prompt window, type mountvol P: /S. (You can change P: to any unused drive letter; that's arbitrary.)
  3. Use the Command Prompt window to access the P: EFI System Partition, or ESP) volume.

You can stop W10 updating when it wants if you only use Wi-Fi by telling it you are on a metered connection.
It's supposed to be possible to do the same with mobile broadband networks.
Even then, my understanding is, you cannot block "priority updates". But, as one supermarket says: "every little helps".

Not tried it as already updated my Windows machines to W10, but it sounds interesting.
@BH, but Geek says that it's not too onerous as it was in previous versions of Windows.

Very interesting article MET, especially about assistive technology and a loophole.

Back