Winter Hill Channel 59

Similarly, I'm not convinced it's 4G. Far more likely, as well as what BH said, is the fact that the lower channels (CH31 and 37) are quite a bit 'out of band' for a C/D aerial (CH 48-68), thus reducing signal strength/S/N ratio even more than just that by the lower transmitted power of -6dB and getting on for -9dB. Seems at present the OP needs a group W wideband and then, ideally, after 2019 a group K (CH21-48)

I agree with that re Kev's problem, I was only hypothesising about whether a particular band aerial is more susceptible to 4G pickup.

Yeah I'm sure that my current fix to receive CH31 and 37 is a wideband aerial - I'm just surprised to find that if current plans come to fruition I and everybody else in my area will be forced down that route to receive anything.

Excellent work finding those articles Luke. I can only assume that they have underestimated the amount of people who will need to change aerials if Winterhill and other C/D group transmitters start broadcasting all content in the CH30-40 range instead. The low numbers seem reliant on the fact that the industry has been advised to fit wideband aerials as standard to replace grouped ones for a while and they say that by 2020 most of the grouped aerials will be old and at the end of their useful life. However, a quick look around my surrounding streets I would estimate that 95% of aerials are still group C/D and I think the house owners would be surprised to hear that their aerial might be obsolete by 2020.

"At the end of their useful life" is presumably a euphemism for "made obsolete by frequency changes". There's no hard limit to the usable life of an aerial!

Heck, Winter Hill must serve millions of homes. The aerial companies will be set to retire to the Bahamas when this is over.

Heck, Winter Hill must serve millions of homes. The aerial companies will be set to retire to the Bahamas when this is over.
An estimated 2,658,000 according to Ofcom.
Also according to Ofcom there are a total of about 4,981,000 homes using the 6 most popular c/d transmitters, including Winter Hill. Also according to Ofcom, based on a sampling of Winter Hill households 3.5% - 5.5% will require a new aerial.
Based on those figures these 6 most popular c/d transmitter areas will require 174,000 to 274,000 aerial replacements.

But the Ofcom estimate for all households in the UK requiring aerial replacements is only 100,000 to 160,000.

What am I misunderstanding?

Of course having a C/D aerial does not necessarily totally preclude the reception of the lower frequency MPXs. Some people could already be able to receive them on a damp bit of string, thus not need a new aerial. I suspect that there are loads of peeps that can receive all the MPXs on their C/D aerial.

Based on those figures these 6 most popular c/d transmitter areas will require 174,000 to 274,000 aerial replacements.

But the Ofcom estimate for all households in the UK requiring aerial replacements is only 100,000 to 160,000.

What am I misunderstanding?

I suspect that they are hoping that around 100,000 people like me are going to upgrade their aerials themselves.

Its actually quite a clever ploy putting COM7 and COM8 right down at channels 31 and 37. Not enough mainstream channels to cause a fuss but enough to push a few people to upgrade their aerials at their own cost. Maybe I'm just being cynical?

My service is from Winter Hill. Some time ago I had an a800 postcard, a few weeks ago I lost ITV etc, called a800 and booked a visit.
The engineer yesterday confirmed 4G interference, fitted a channel 60 filter where the aerial cable comes in to the room, also fitted a channel 59 filter there and then moved it inboard of a booster.
Interference gone, and COM7 available, probably due to a graunchy old line plug and socket being cut out and replaced by the channel 60 filter.
No idea what my aerial is as it predates my arrival here.

Back