Wireless settings don't save

Sam Widges

Does anyone else use a wireless card with their HD-T2?

I bought an Edimax EW-7711USn recently and, when configured, the HD-T2 can see the outside world, but every time I power cycle the box (standby included) it loses the config. It wouldn't be so bad if it just forgot which wireless network it needed, but it forgets the password and once I've set that it tries DHCP, which I don't use in my network, so I have to wait a couple of minutes for the timeout and I then have to enter all the network information. This is plain infuriating for me, but SWMBO just isn't going to bother with all that faff at all.

Is there some magic method to get the wireless settings to 'stick'?

I have a horrible feeling that the only way to do this will be to roll my own firmware with hardcoded information :rolleyes:

As above. The settings won't stick if you have your WiFi network set to hide the SSID, and the helper package (custom software) sorts that out.

The SSID isn't hidden, but I'm giving it a go anyway.

Is this meant to be configured through webif? It looks like the settings need to be set in the database for wifi-up to work, which I can do but I'd have thought that many other users would have a big problem with.

I shall go and turn my HD-FOX on and check (can't check the HDR... mongoose has died on me!).

You have to enable advanced mode on the settings page, and then you get to see all the packages and not just the "safe" ones.

You have to enable advanced mode on the settings page, and then you get to see all the packages and not just the "safe" ones.

That's one of the first things I turned on, even if I'm more of a CLI kind of guy :cool:

I've already installed the package, I can't find a way of configuring the settings.

I've installed the wireless-helper package etc. on my HDR - the extra wlan entries are in the settings database but still no way of configuring them.

It should pick up the settings you put in when configuring wifi in the Humax on-screen menus. You need to make sure your Ethernet cable's disconnected too.

It looks like the settings are making it into the database, but several of the important rows are missing from the database on the HD - WLAN_AUTH_TYPE, WLAN_CONNECTED_AP and WLAN_KEY.

Time to hard-code some values into wifi-up, I think.

It looks like the settings are making it into the database, but several of the important rows are missing from the database on the HD - WLAN_AUTH_TYPE, WLAN_CONNECTED_AP and WLAN_KEY.

I reckon I'll be better off tweaking the wlan startup script to use wpa_supplicant manually for the moment.
How are you checking whether they are empty? They are packed in the database so don't show up in the webif or via sqlite - if you run /mod/sbin/wifi-up then it should dump what's in the database though.

I've only ever been able to test this on the HDR of course.

I wouldn't bother with the supplicant, just edit wifi-up and hard code the values in there if necessary.

I'm doing a database dump from webif and the rows for those values just aren't there.

My edit and your message crossed in flight, but I did indeed hardcode entries into wifi-up and that seems to be working fine now.

Back