worst thing I have ever bought!

RS-MAN

Hi All,

Sorry to start on a bad note, but I have had nothing but trouble with this unit since I bought it.

First was hand-shaking, I had to make sure the TV wasn't on before I switched my Humax box on. If I did I had to unplug everything from the back of the box to re-start the unit. Humax said it was the TV, which was at fault, as it was an old plasma. I believed Humax.

Second: the second signal strength indicator didn't work, which isn't too bad if one knew about the problem, having tried 3 cables I contacted Humax. It was a known problem and would be fixed with the next software update. It was, and so was the hand-shaking problem. :)

Everything worked for the next few months until the odd programme didn't record. it then stopped working altogether it froze on BBC News, I contacted Humax who talked me through a system, which would re-boot it. that fixed it for a few days.

Now I can't record anything! I have formatted the hard drive a few times but I still can't record anything. What am I to do, I have sadly had the unit too long to get my money back!

Would I recommend Humax - no, never.

So my options are to send the unit back to Humax or the shop where I bought it from.

Would a software update fix it, I see there is a beta available, should I use it or has anyone else got any ideas!

Sorry I didn't start this forum on a 'good' note (I am not usually this negative - honest)

I would appreciate any help.

Kind regards

Shaun

I have tried the 'beta' firmware, nothing, however, I have noticed a pattern emerging; it records for 2 minutes. it took a while to notice, but further testing reviled a 2 minute record time. Has anyone else come across this?

I think it's time I took it back!

The Humax returns system is very good, I would give that a try; sadly I suppose somebody must get a "Monday morning" unit occasionally.

The Humax returns system is very good, I would give that a try; sadly I suppose somebody must get a "Monday morning" unit occasionally.
Thanks for replying I tried the firmware up-date and re-formatted again. This time a total fail, when I say total fail, it shows the programme but a warning triangle saying 'Failed' and I left the unit on.

Kind regards

Shaun

I have tried the 'beta' firmware, nothing, however, I have noticed a pattern emerging; it records for 2 minutes. it took a while to notice, but further testing reviled a 2 minute record time. Has anyone else come across this?

I think it's time I took it back!

Not aware of any beta firmware released for the hdr1000/1010 models. There is a system reset .hdf file which basically just does the same as a reset to factory defaults. New units do have a later firmware but afaik it's never been released or transmitted OTA. The second tuner not indicating a signal isn't really an issue. The second tuner is powered off if not required (presumably to save power). If you start a recording thus forcing the second tuner to be powered you will see the signal strength for the two transponders in use.

I would give Humax a ring. Mine works without problems.

Hi All,

I called Humax

And they said I had to return it to the store where I bought it, but first try a hard drive format. I have just done this so my son isn't happy as he has lost off of his Scooby Doo programmes. I am recording now so we will see if this has cured it - lets hope so.

Kind regards

Shaun

PS

The unit was running the second fireware release, as you know it has You Tube on, the firmware now is: UKSFAA 1.00.37

PPS
Recorded the last 7 minutes of Scooby Doo so it must be working :)

Just had a look and I have recorded a full Scooby Doo, he will be pleased. Looks like it works! It's a pity one can't move one's recordings before a hard drive format...

Hi All,

I called Humax

And they said I had to return it to the store where I bought it, but first try a hard drive format. I have just done this so my son isn't happy as he has lost off of his Scooby Doo programmes. I am recording now so we will see if this has cured it - lets hope so.

Kind regards

Shaun

PS

The unit was running the second fireware release, as you know it has You Tube on, the firmware now is: UKSFAA 1.00.37

PPS
Recorded the last 7 minutes of Scooby Doo so it must be working :)

Just had a look and I have recorded a full Scooby Doo, he will be pleased. Looks like it works! It's a pity one can't move one's recordings before a hard drive format...

1.00.37 isn't a beta it's the last update to be transmitted ota. New boxes have 1.00.40 firmware, there doesn't seem to be any significant difference to 1.00.37.

Back