An update on betaftpd has nearly cured the issues I mentioned here but not quite.
On "some" disk drives having this turned on will prevent writing to the drive.
I dont know why that is and can't locate the difference. The drives I tested were
of the same type size and config. I tried emptying the trash, ensuring lots of free space
and scandisk/defragging (take a long time on big NTFS drives!)
What does seem to be an anomaly is that Drive_1 (first partition) sometimes mounts as "Elements 1024" instead of "drive1"
This name is related to the hard drive type and I dont know why that should become the mount name.
Whilst some drives work fine with betaftpd on - the drives that error (and they seem to change with use) will
work fine again with it off.
Its not a big issue but I hope thats of use to someone.