You can take a horse ...

Black Hole

You seem to be having a few issues in another place; which is a shame because you are really trying to make their lives easier. As the old adage in the title goes - "you can take a horse to water but ... ".

Keep up the (unrewarded) good work.

Martin

Just caught up over there and agree entirely with MartinOnline!
I do have my reasons for only very rarely posting over at the other place...

(I also miss BA... : ) - might have to RS auto that.

For those mystified:

Some of us use another forum which is more generally dedicated to Audio-Visual kit, and has a single forum topic for each individual make and model - thus discussion of HDR-FOX is all in one huge topic and HD-FOX is in another, etc. Every now and again somebody comes along and says "why doesn't my HDR do <something>" (I paraphrase), so somebody (often me) provides a summary statement and points them over here for more information (forum, Wiki, whatever).

In the last day or two this oik comes along and says "I've loaded the custom firmware but where's my Sky portal", so I said that's not all you need to do, plenty of info on hummy.tv. He comes back and says (in effect) "I can't be arsed to read about it, spoon-feed me".

I snapped (mildly), said we have not busted a gut to write it all up and be ignored, and that questions about the custom software should be posted on the custom software forum. That annoyed a couple of other people, who seem to think a single thread in a general AV forum should be fair game. More fool them - I should point out that the thread is so big the same subjects come up time after time because nobody can be bothered to read right through it and find out what's there - it is no use as a resource, only any good for immediate chat (a complete waste).

For those mystified:

Some of us use another forum which is more generally dedicated to Audio-Visual kit, and has a single forum topic for each individual make and model
You are allowed to mention the name of this other forum, just in case there is anyone who doesn't know. ;)

Brian : You are allowed to mention the name of this other forum
Agreed, I can't see why the people who run / contribute to these forums try to pretend that others forums don't exist. I have seen comments on AVForums , My Hummy, DigitalSpy etc. discouraging users from mentioning ‘Other’ forums, are they really that worried that their particular forum is so poor that they don’t want any competition ?

I happen to think that this forum is better that the ‘Others’ but is doesn’t stop me reading (and contributing) to them

I don't mention them because they don't like mentioning us. "The Other Place" does for me [set_mode=cower_behind_crucifix]

My reference to "another place" was play on the genteel manner that one house of parliament refers to the other. Definitely tongue-in-cheek and was not to deny the existence and usefulness of another forum.

I'm sorry that this seems to have triggered adverse comment.

I, too, regularly monitor the forums listed, particularly DigitalSpy because its the only one I've found with useful Tvonics information.

Martin

You are allowed to mention the name of this other forum, just in case there is anyone who doesn't know. ;)
If it is the place I think it is then I find it is more a sales site with the forums bolted on with the regulars more interested in bragging about how much they have spent on their systems than helping casual users with genuine questions about more typically affordable kit (with some honourable exceptions). They could do with a rocket up their fundament.

If it is the place I think it is then I find it is more a sales site with the forums bolted on with the regulars more interested in bragging about how much they have spent on their systems than helping casual users with genuine questions about more typically affordable kit (with some honourable exceptions). They could do with a rocket up their fundament.
Sounds about right.:)

It seems some people cannot be helped in any way by forum or wiki, no matter how precisely explained, simply because they cannot read.

I personally don't mind other forums being mentioned. I put this site up as hummy.org.uk was having a lot of issues and wasn't the most reliable and at that time there wasn't really another forum to use. This site does very well and there are a lot of very dedicated people who keep this site a good resource (along with the wiki).

This site already this month has had over 12,000 unique visitors and 100,000 page views and we're only 12 days in - so i have no worries at all..

The aim of a site like this is to help people. If there's a resource somewhere else that will do the job then I'll link to it. The fact that this forum has a rational view on this is refreshing : )

I don't understand forums that prohibit the posting of links to other sites - although some of them are obviously about making money.

I've seen posts on myhumax.org directing users here when appropriate - they seem to have the same open minded approach (e.g. http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/possible-corrupt-file-issue#post-11177), although I really don't like their forum software!

Oh look, I just posted a link to another forum.:frantic:

But isn't it strange that when you post a link to here in AV a moderator immediately deletes it, so that you have to repeat there what you have said here. But perhaps they see us as a threat as this forum is organised soooo much better. 1000 posts and they split the thread. Ye gods and little fishes, 1000 posts per thread???? Who the hell can read through 3 or 4 loads of 1000 posts to find out what you want to know. Luckily, the bit that I may be interested in, custom firmware for my hummy HDR, is on page one of each split thread. If I go on any more, this thread will run to 100 pages, let alone 1000 posts ;=)
Perhaps it's because aft's link over there did not look like one ;=)
Shame the HDR custom firmware thread is not hosted here.

Eh? It is!

I don't think they've deleted my links have they? Not scanned back to check, but at least the clue is in my sig.

Eh? It is!

I don't think they've deleted my links have they? Not scanned back to check, but at least the clue is in my sig.
I think that Trev is referring to the Foxsat HDR custom firmware thread, which is hosted on AVForums.

I think that they will delete a link that has been simply cut and pasted in full, but if it is disguised by embedding it in text, it will probably be left alone.

Back