HD-FOX CF Host UPD

You may find Windows third party software like Easus Partition Master can also recover USB sticks in the same manner as gparted, since Partition Master lets you re-partition the drive.

Bootice is another great free utility that runs on Windows and will let you repartition/format your stick.

Edit: got the name of the utility wrong!

I can see it with Windows Disk Management (with Admin privileges), but it is listed as uninitialised and when I try to initialise it I get "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)".

Under other circumstances I would write it off as buggered, but this sort of thing happens too often.

I can see it with Windows Disk Management (with Admin privileges), but it is listed as uninitialised and when I try to initialise it I get "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)".

Under other circumstances I would write it off as buggered, but this sort of thing happens too often.

So have you tried Easus?

Not yet. Worth a try I suppose, but with two out of two utilities reporting CRC errors...

Maybe there's a bad flash block that needs remapping? You can use Easus or CCleaner to wipe the USB stick by overwriting every sector, or at least doing a full detailed surface scan. Either of those should remap any faulty blocks. I fixed an SD card my camera and laptop didn't like this way.

The UPD in question doesn't show up with a drive letter, so I don't see how one could use CCleaner to do it.

The UPD in question doesn't show up with a drive letter, so I don't see how one could use CCleaner to do it.

Fair enough, I didn't know that. But drives can be mounted to a directory, or maybe it just doesn't show up visibly in the desktop because it's not formatted?

Ah, well, see... I use an Explorer replacement called Directory Opus, and I don't get quite the same breadcrumb trail to find things like that (or at least I don't think I do). But in Post 86 I reported having been through Windows Disk Management while logged in as Admin, and it is listed as a device (along with the internal drive). See post 86.

Next round in the battle... different HD-FOX

I bought a "64GB" Kingston UPD hoping to sidestep the problem of not being able to allocate a TSR buffer on anything less than 32GiB - this Kingston is actually 60,017 MiB. I tried the maintenance menu option to prepare the drive, and it was reported as FAT, but the process stalled (or maybe I didn't wait long enough - am I supposed to see some kind of progress?). My recollection of doing this previously is that FAT to Ext2 conversion is fast.

After rebooting and trying again, maintenance mode reports there is no drive suitable for conversion, so I have tried
"mke2fs -m 0 -O sparse_super -q /dev/sda1", but again the Telnet session just sits there staring at me. How long to wait before I pull the plug?

Okay, so I just wasn't waiting long enough. The mke2fs command eventually came back with a command prompt - shame it does nothing to tell you it's alive (I don't know his long it actually took - I went away to save the "watched pot" syndrome).

<bollox!>

Installed the full web interface and rebooted, now I get a 404 error... and Settings >> System >> Data Storage is showing me "drive1" with 57.5GB available but Format Storage and Select the HDD for PVR are greyed out.

What now???

Okay, one Telnet menu rset command later, I have re-run the installation and have the WebIF, but I still don't know why I can't select the drive for recording.

Last edited:
:dance:

Setting Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Recording >> Time Shift Recording = On, and running the "assignhd" diagnostic (plus a reboot) later, I have finally achieved timeshift etc on a HD-FOX with a 58.6GiB UPD. I also have all three of my HDR-FOXes mounted at Media level, so I have full access to all network recorded content and plugged-in drives.

We'll see how long this lasts for (previously I have had trouble with UPDs failing after a few months, and that's without the stress of TSR).

Back