1.02.26 Escaped

Hi, I am new to Humax and have bought a HDR-FOX T2 1tb which has come with 1.02.26 firmware.
I will at some point want to install the CF, what are my options. Revert to 1.02.20 or upgrade to 1.02.27.

Anyone got any ideas on the pros & cons or if it is even opssible to revert the firmware?

Yes, so far you can reprogram with whatever you like if you have it available*. 1.02.20 is the latest fully-approved issue, 1.02.27 has few improvements and a few wrinkles I am sure you have been following HERE (click). I have not reverted my HDR-FOX to 1.02.20 yet, the remote button annoyances have been eliminated by switching to the ADB remote (luckily I have both) and there will hopefully be a custom software cure for the forced retune before one happens (problem being that if you happen to be away when it happens, the Humax will have lost its recording schedule until you restore it from backup).

At the moment the custom firmware revision state is the same for 1.02.20 and 1.02.27 (you must load the correct one though), so you can choose either. Future revision might leave 1.02.20 behind though. There is no version of the CF for 1.02.26 because we have never seen it in the wild to tailor the CF loader.

* If I recall, it is only the HD-FOX that has had a firmware update that one could not return from.

There is little point in going back to 1.02.20 because your Humax will look for updates every night and will over write with the latest anyway, It is possible to force an older version onto the Humax (Via USB stick) at any point if you want, I would stick with 1.02.26 until you want the CF and then install 1.02.07 followed by the 1.02.27_mod, all available firmare is HERE on the WiKi

There is little point in going back to 1.02.20 because your Humax will look for updates every night and will over write with the latest anyway

I think that is rather misleading. 1.02.27 is not being broadcast at the moment, it is only available as a beta download. In fact, there is another round of 1.02.20 due for broadcast very soon. Also, the custom software provides a tool to eliminate the nightly OTA search, so you can stick with whatever you want.

Hence the "I would stick with 1.02.26 until you want the CF", eventually (Not Now) the 1.02.26 will be replaced with 1.02.27 or something newer automatically

Thanks for the info chaps.

Guess I will stick with 26 until I ready to install CF, which will probably be sooner rather than later. I'll keep an eye on the 27 thread and see if things get sorted and decide which version to go for then.

Seems odd that they would ship machines with a firmware release that is not generally available, but I'm sure all will be OK eventually.

Seems odd that they would ship machines with a firmware release that is not generally available, but I'm sure all will be OK eventually.
It has happened several times in the past on other Humax boxes. A release passes the initial testing and is cleared for production but just as it is about to be made generally available an isue is found.

My HDR-FOX T2 has also shipped with software FHTCP 1.02.26 , loader a7.31 (Update Date 03 Jan 2012)

Quite keen for the CFW but a bit weary of a few of the bugs as it's a beta only release so think I'll try and hold on

I saw a post over on myhumax.org earlier that implied that Humax have a new beta in the works to fix at least one problem in 1.02.27. Hopefully it will appear soon.

Can someone just clarify something. I bought a HDR-FOX T2 last week, and it came with 1.02.26 and loader a7.31.
Yesterday I put the 1.02.27 custom firmware on it. It seems to be ok - but reading some of the posts in this thread, was I meant to put the official .27 firmware on first? Everything seems to be working fine, it even kept all my recordings made in the last week. Have I gone wrong?

If the CF for 1.02.27 is working with 1.02.26 that's good news - but bear in mind 1.02.26 has never been made available on the Humax web site or over the air, so AF123 has not been able to check compatibility or produce a version of the CF specifically for 1.02.26. Chances are there's no a lot of difference in the places that are important to the alterations the CF needs to make, but you will never know for sure. If I were in your place I would feel nervous about it.

Reading between the lines, 1.02.26 was an early versionn of 1.02.27 which may have escaped (installed in a few machines) accidentally. In as much as 1.02.27 followed very soon after, it seems likely that 1.02.26 contains some bug which Humax decided to correct in short order. We know of several things we don't like in 1.02.27 (along with several things we do) - so goodness knows about 1.02.26 :eek:.

My recommendation is to decide whether you want to install 1.02.20 or 1.02.27 and then install the correct CF over that. For a summary of the good and the bad see HERE (click). Note that the worst of the bad (retunes) is circumvented by disable-dso in the custom software packages - unless you happen to want YouTube or Audio Description.

Ah ok - the the CF isn't a full firmware, just a patch for the full firmware. Maybe the docs need to be changed, because it wasn't clear to me, and I've done this sort of thing before.

Anyway - I'm please with the FOX so far, lets hope Humax keep on top of any bugs, my PVR9150 was good for the first 18 months, but then Humax dropped the ball and took far to long to fix bugs, indeed the reason I got the new box was because my old one is as flaky as hell, crashing for no clear reason.

TBH - I just followed the video, so I'm sorry if I've not read your docs properly.

My box says it is now running .27 in the system settings. Wouldn't a patched .26 not still show up as .26?

The stock firmware revision detection is a new feature, I don't know how it is implemented but presuming it does not simply read an embedded data field AF would have needed to know how to detect 1.02.26.

If you have installed 1.2.27 CF over 1.2.26 Humax firmware then the Humax application will be 1.2.27. What you may be missing is any changes to the kernel or bootloader. AFAIK no changes were made to the bootlioader between 1.2.20 and 1.2.27 on an HDR (this is not the case on an HD). I'm not sure about any kernel changes. The usual reason for Humax to change these is if the internal FLASH memory partitioning has changed.

The kernel was recompiled for 1.02.27, but I don't think there were are any differences.
What you're running is almost definitely fine but not something that has ever been tried or tested.

Back