1.02.28 - Reasons to be Cheerful???

Hmmm so if I got .28 via OTA then will it have retuned me at some point when I wasn't looking? Sorry if this got covered before I have not been able to keep up with all the developments (and posts) over the last couple of months - not so much time to kill at work nowadays :-(

Well, like I said above, I just got .20 OTA and it certainly didn't force a retune. I guess it really depends on where you are in the DSO cycle

The OTA itself doesn't force a retune, but if a retune event happens to come along (post 1.02.20) it's hard to stop it.

Well, like I said above, I just got .20 OTA and it certainly didn't force a retune. I guess it really depends on where you are in the DSO cycle
I'm guessing this should read " I just got .28 OTA" if it happened Yesterday

Yes of course sorry. I think I got confused (really not hard!) because when the prvious version turned up it invoked the re-tune thing thus wiping the schedule, but it all got talked about in the same places as the firmware arriving so I mistakenly joined them up as firmware arriving > loss of schedule rather than firmware arriving > forces retune = loss of schedule.

Hmmm so if I got .28 via OTA then will it have retuned me at some point when I wasn't looking? Sorry if this got covered before I have not been able to keep up with all the developments (and posts) over the last couple of months - not so much time to kill at work nowadays :-(

Note to self : get cf for .28 installed and put the disable OTA package on asap (although I guess there may not be many (any) more updates now the obvious 4gb fix is in and the resultant tweaks to the other bits now made).

I think mine did a retune after updating, because when I looked at ITV1 it obviously had a bad signal. I did another automatic retune, and when it had completed that it asked me what transmitter I wanted (gave me two options) and selecting the more local one has apparently selected the appropriate channels without duplicates.

I don't recall the retune message box I was getting as having a "later" button I also recollect it being more square than af123's picture. Could there be two messages? One message when a new service is detected and the other an advisory relating to DSO.

My message popped up once while watching and I dismissed it. It then popped up at switch on for the next two days before relented and did a manual retune at a time that suites, as I am away next weekend. The only new channel found was HD Red Button

One thing I did observe is that once my external hard drive was detected at switch on, it seemed to dismiss the message after a couple of seconds. This is why I don't recall exactly what it said. Plugging in a USB stick might be a partial work around.

I have only had my box a couple of months and it has a two year warranty, so I am hesitant to move to custom firmware just yet. In member's experience, how long before Humax address the retune and dead radio problems? I may revert back to 1.02.20, but having read about the deleting issues, the disk fix option in the latest version looks useful. If I did revert back, would I have audio playback problems with HD recordings made with 1.02.28?

I suppose it depends when you last did a scan for new channels..
If it gets a message that there are new channels, it will want to add them...

I've never done a scan since the original set up 22 months ago and I've yet to see a message to say there are new channels.
I hasten to add that all the dross has been deleted to keep the EPG to reasonable proportions and by switching my Panasonic TV to DVB, I keep up to date with new channels added.

In member's experience, how long before Humax address the retune and dead radio problems?
Have Humax accepted that the retune behaviour is a problem? I don't like the behaviour but I suspect it is working as intended. The radio problem is odd as Barry over on MyHumax.org is confident that it was working on the pre release version.
I may revert back to 1.02.20, but having read about the deleting issues, the disk fix option in the latest version looks useful.
I don't see how a disk test option would have a bearing on the background deleting issue. Can you explain your reasoning?
If I did revert back, would I have audio playback problems with HD recordings made with 1.02.28?
I don't know for certain but I don't think so.

It's reported that V28 has bust Internet Radio. Humax are aware of the problem.

I had a little play with Internet Radio (first time) on 1.02.27 just to check it wasn't broken previously (it wasn't). Silly buggers. So far disable-ota has protected me from update.

Yep. Trying to use internet radio causes the box to reboot. Personally, it's the only thing I ever used the portal for, so I'm a bit miffed. How on earth do Humax manage to miss things like this?

Good:

· Audio Description repaired - supposition not yet confirmed
[/quote]
Bad:
· Audio Description repaired –the 1.02.20 HD channels fault fixed, a new fault effects both SD and HD

On the HD-FOX-T2 AD on 1.02.28 fails in the same way as 1.02.27. I.e. When both sound tracks have sound the normal sound track has dominance instead of the AD sound track.

The dominance should be the other way around. E.g. On Her Majesty's Secret Service there is a sequence that includes a lot of noise generated by the cable car’s power room and its cogs and wheels. During a lot of this scene the normal sound track has a lot of sound to represent the power room and during this scene the AD sound track often has an audio description. What should happen on the PVR is at, and only at, appropriate moments the normal sound track should be partially subdued so that the Audio Description can be heard reasonably well. What actually happens on both 1.02.27 and 1.02.28 is that when these overlaps occur the Audio Description sound track is subdued instead of the normal sound track.
This aspect of AD was fine on 1.02.20 on both SD and HD.

What was wrong with AD on 1.02 20 was a different fault. This different fault occurred on HD only. The HD normal sound track volume on 1.02.20 was given a boost to help match SD but the Audio description was not. This fault has been corrected in 1.02.27 and also 1.02.28. But the introduction of the new fault makes both SD and HD AD unusable.

Summary for HD-FOX-T2:
1.02.28: AD unusable
1.02.27: AD unusable
1.02.20: AD usable on SD only

Edit (3/2/13): 1.002.32 AD remains unusable

The HD-FOX-T2 signal detection menu accessed via the System Information coloured buttons displays a BER value.

On a poorly received channel the BER value is [E-6] : 0.

Has the BER metre worked with any of the previous software versions or the HDR-FOX-T2?

Back