A Personal Tale of Medical Ethics Etc

When I can summon up the enthusiasm for this sort of thing again, I'll sort out a will and LPoAs for me. But covid has really taken the wind out of my sails for dealing with this sort of stressful bureaucracy, I need a year or two of back to normal (which we're not even at yet) before I have the mental energy to face it. Yes I know one shouldn't delay these things, but my mental batteries are completely drained at the moment. I'm working in a nearly empty building that is meant to have about 400 people in it, and boy is it miserable. Even the canteen is awful, not enough people so there's no options and I tend not to like what they're choosing to put on. This is after 15 months of living with my parents and working from their house, because I couldn't face working from my house given I live alone.

I can relate quite well to most of what you've written as my circumstances are not that dissimilar. I'm dreading winter though for various reasons.

I put a default will in place a few years ago, when I became a property owner. I have no doubt it could do with re-addressing, but at least there is one. LPA is on the to do list.

I feel for OS, I'm in a similar position (but on the opposite side of the country from family roots). The companionship I get from a series of friends (like J) is all that keeps me going, but means I spend a lot of time out, and when in not wanting to be.

Gosh, the last few posts have made me question as to why I've been feeling good recently.
Ok, I live in a beautiful area and can get out a lot where I can avoid the tourists but I find exercise in most forms (whether inside or out) give me a sense of wellbeing.
I am curious regarding all things in nature and use binoculars and a travel camera extensively.

If you're feeling down for whatever reason, get out and exercise. It has served me well over the years (even when I was working 56 hour weeks), swimming too is really beneficial. Try a new hobby, all it takes is a little effort. Don't use the excuse that work prevents you from doing so. Picking up the laptop often is not a good idea, and as for the TV, well that's mostly dross anyway. Having said that, this forum has always been entertaining in one form or another!

Re wills: Don't put it off, it isn't stressful to set up if you use a good solicitor (and there's usually a free wills week in October with plenty of advice). I speak from experience from looking after two relatives with dementia and my wife and I setting up as Court of Protection Deputies, now thankfully not required.

I'm off for a walk now ;)

There's not a lot I can do about IHT changes. I've got no children so most of the ways of reducing it aren't available to me, and I've already paid plenty into my pensions. My aunt is spending her money going on holidays, if she doesn't her savings go up and she has no children either so just wants to keep enough for emergencies. And getting my dad to consider financial planning is impossible, he finds it boring as hell but won't let anyone else do it for him. Unsurprisingly despite earning good money when he was working, his and mum's financial position in retirement is poor apart from owning a decent house.

We did it, and don't let anyone tell you, you need squillions to retire and live well.

Last edited:
Retire early, downsize and enjoy yourself! ;)
Only three problems:
  • I'm 55 and have no idea what I'd do with my time without work
  • I already live in a small house on my own, downsizing would be a) a tight squeeze and b) yield little
  • Financially I'm not there yet for the retirement income I'd like, though I'm on track by early 60s

We did it, and don't let anyone tell you, you need sqillions to retire and live well.
The odd Premium Bonds top prize would come in handy though!

I'm 55 and have no idea what I'd do with my time without work
Don't you believe it! Nobody said "I wish I'd spent more time in the office" on their death bed, usually retired people say they don't know how they had the time to work.

Retire early, downsize and enjoy yourself! ;)
Hmm. Effectively forced into the first two. Finding the third part difficult. At least there is less stress.
We did it, and don't let anyone tell you, you need sqillions to retire and live well.
If, like me, you don’t yet qualify for a pension you need some savings to live reasonably well. Good job I saved when I was working.

Don't you believe it! Nobody said "I wish I'd spent more time in the office" on their death bed, usually retired people say they don't know how they had the time to work.
If I retired I'd have to start several new hobbies to fill my time. The things I'm involved with outside work at the moment wouldn't remotely occupy me. I might say "I wish I'd found more things to do" on my deathbed. I'm not good at joining things or finding new social circles, and I still resent people that buggered off 20 to 30 years ago and left me on my own.

Back