Accurate recording timer issues

Matthew

We have AR on as most of the time it works perfectly, but this weekend its drawbacks reared its head.

Having purchased the full 007 series on UltraViolet only then to find with the latter's demise most of the time the films are not available to view! I decided to take the opportunity to record the films as ITV is broadcasting the full set.

I had noted an error in the listing for this weekend, it showed A View To A Kill for both days, then Octopussy on Sunday (wrong order) so today the WebIf was expecting A View To A Kill though the box finally showing Octopussy but not flagging it as Scheduled! The WebIf indicated the recording was going to start, but I was watching the channel and it didn't, so started it manually. A failed recording for A View To A Kill did eventually appear, saying failed to track.

Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow when A View To A Kill will actually be transmitted.

Anyone any suggestions on a way around the broadcasters messing this up? Keeping AR on is definitely a requirement, as proved by the late starting of F1 today, correctly tracked.

PS One lesson learnt, never buy a 'virtual copy' again, you'll only get fleeced :mad:

The WebIf schedule display lets you disable AR on a particular recording if the multimode package is installed -- thanks @BH -- and why wouldn't you install it? Would that be any help?

Otherwise the ITV equivalent of the nuclear strike on Redmond that was often called for when Microsoft ruled the world?

Last edited:
Sometimes using Refresh Events on the schedule page will correct start time / episode CRID errors that the box doesn't detect automatically,
Worth a try before switching to padding

Anyone any suggestions on a way around the broadcasters messing this up? Keeping AR on is definitely a requirement, as proved by the late starting of F1 today, correctly tracked.
Take a look at the multimode package: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/ar-on-a-per-recording-or-per-service-basis.959/. Note that (when using multimode) it is vital to have AR as your default and then make selected services or recordings auto-padding.

Of course, you can only guess which recordings to make as padding! AR has benefits, but only when the broadcasters implement it correctly (ditto series linking etc). See Things Every... (click) section 3.

The WebIf schedule display lets you disable AR on a particular recording. Would that be any help?
Only with multimode installed.

Regarding the 007 canon, I did similar when I heard the rights had been taken by Sky (or somebody) and concluded the current run on terrestrial TV was a swan song (this was a few years ago). But they're still on there!

Reactions: /df
I don't think I've ever had a successful AR recording from ITV. They ALWAYS cut the end off. Good job I mostly don't bother with their services.

I don't think I've ever had a successful AR recording from ITV. They ALWAYS cut the end off. Good job I mostly don't bother with their services.
We find it's usually only the credits that get cut, but I imagine for a programme with short credits it would be more serious.
I get the impression they've changed their AR flags to include the before adverts instead of the after, which from an advertising point of view makes sense. Maybe they also are hoping to drive people to their online offering in search of missed endings, so they can blast them with more ads there.

I rarely have a problem with ITV - they usually include most of the following ad break

There are some channels that don't (didn't?) use AR (Pick and Dave) for which I use padding

Is there any easy way to detect whether a channel is broadcasting the AR signals?

Is there any easy way to detect whether a channel is broadcasting the AR signals?
No.
The 'AR signal' is the change of the 'next' programme in the eit p/f becoming the 'now' programme.
Whether a channel uses AR or not, all non-data channels include the eit p/f information. The difference is just in the timing of the change. This means that there isn't anything in the eit p/f which differentiates whether AR is being used or not.
The only way to detect AR is to monitor if the eit p/f appears to be independent from the corresponding 7 day eit start times, and then to analyse the results to see if differences between the two are likely to be due to AR or something going wrong.
(Edited to remove typos.)

Last edited:
Back