AdBreaker

Black Cloud

All I need now is a PC utility to detect the ad breaks and life will be idyllic.
Woohoo! New kid on the block, called AdBreakerUK. It does what it says on the tin alright. Best I've had so far.
It's UK only, which may be why it gets it so right. There was nothing to do, I just told it where my stuff is (network aware) and left it to run.
It has a rudimentary interface to report what it's doing, and daily log files with lots of incomprehensible numbers in them.

The GOOD: It excels on films, getting rid of everything, not even a smidgeon of a part caption remaining. No disturbances either.
The BAD: It likes to remove The Weather from News bulletins :)
The UGLY: I fell in love with it, so it cost me a tenner after the free trial expired.

PS. I couldn't get Edge to download it - too new to be trusted yet. Email support seems to work okay - got an answer in a few hours. Used Firefox instead.

The latest version can be found on their website at https://www.AdBreaker.UK

Last edited:
Woohoo! New kid on the block, called AdBreaker.UK (also the address of its website). It does what it says on the tin alright. Best I've had so far.
It's UK only, which may be why it gets it so right. There was nothing to do, I just told it where my stuff is (network aware) and left it to run.
It has a rudimentary interface to report what it's doing, and daily log files with lots of incomprehensible numbers in them.
I will have to take a look!

How did you find it? - it appears to be invisible on Google and makes no mention of pricing on it website!

Last edited:
Woohoo! New kid on the block,
Interesting and good to know. I'll certainly give it a try. I have been experimenting with MCEBuddy and it's Comskip integration with some success but have only done limited testing so far with Movies primarily. Ideally I would like to remove adverts and optionally compress the recordings. Hopefully it has a command line interface so it can be scripted...

How did you find it? - it appears to be invisible on Google
Good old fashioned word of mouth. It's much slower than Google (rendered in 0.392 months :) ) but it's "Targeted Advertising Algorithm" based on "Natural Intelligence" beats Google hands down! I guess they didn't bribe Google to put it up yet?

Interesting and good to know. I'll certainly give it a try. I have been experimenting with MCEBuddy and it's Comskip integration with some success but have only done limited testing so far with Movies primarily. Ideally I would like to remove adverts and optionally compress the recordings. Hopefully it has a command line interface so it can be scripted...
Options=none, bar telling it where your recordings are, and where you want it to store the results. It sees new recordings and chops them up when they finish. That includes any .ts files that you copy into the watched folders manually.

It's excellent on films. C4 and Film4 are what I record mainly, but on other channels where films are split around the news, etc, it joins up the two halves. I had some 10 year old stuff on my Humax, and it shrunk those files by about 40% which is far more than the ads it took out. Didn't affect the picture quality though.

Good old fashioned word of mouth. It's much slower than Google (rendered in 0.392 months :) ) but it's "Targeted Advertising Algorithm" based on "Natural Intelligence" beats Google hands down! I guess they didn't bribe Google to put it up yet?

Options=none, bar telling it where your recordings are, and where you want it to store the results. It sees new recordings and chops them up when they finish. That includes any .ts files that you copy into the watched folders manually.

It's excellent on films. C4 and Film4 are what I record mainly, but on other channels where films are split around the news, etc, it joins up the two halves. I had some 10 year old stuff on my Humax, and it shrunk those files by about 40% which is far more than the ads it took out. Didn't affect the picture quality though.
Has anyone tried this with DvrOnTime? Do I need the Convert to M2TS format option checked?

That presumes the DvrOnTime/whatever system saves recordings in the M2TS container format. We know the HDR-FOX does that, but the broadcast is TS not M2TS.
DvrOnTime can save either format. As I understand it, Foxes utilise the M2TS format to facilitate variable speed playback. When a TS file is played by a Fox, spooling is barred, although jumping still works.

Has anyone tried this with DvrOnTime? Do I need the Convert to M2TS format option checked?
I've been told it supports both .m2ts and .ts, but currently only looks for .ts files to process, so you would need to rename any .m2ts files for them to be picked up. I can't confirm this yet as I've had a few issues installing and now it is installed it won't convert any files due to a licencing error. Hopefully once that has been sorted I can compare to MCEBuddy and Comskip.

I've been told it supports both .m2ts and .ts, but currently only looks for .ts files to process, so you would need to rename any .m2ts files for them to be picked up. I can't confirm this yet as I've had a few issues installing and now it is installed it won't convert any files due to a licencing error. Hopefully once that has been sorted I can compare to MCEBuddy and Comskip.
It won't install on my system, but there is a new version due soon that is supposed to fix the install issues. Something to do with ant-virus software

It won't install on my system, but there is a new version due soon that is supposed to fix the install issues. Something to do with ant-virus software
I had a similar issue and they updated the version published on the website on Wednesday I think which fixed that for me, but I have subsequently run into another issue which they are currently working on.

I had a similar issue and they updated the version published on the website on Wednesday I think which fixed that for me, but I have subsequently run into another issue which they are currently working on.
The version published on this Monday finally worked for me and I must say, I'm really impressed, just got to figure out the mechanics of getting it to run with your scripts

The version published on this Monday finally worked for me and I must say, I'm really impressed, just got to figure out the mechanics of getting it to run with your scripts
Sounds good. I've exchanged a few emails with them and they seem very open to suggestions for the product, so I'm hoping for some command line options to make script integration easier. BTW, I'm currently working on a offline filing script for Humax recordings which works in a similar way to the DvrOnTime one...

Sounds good. I've exchanged a few emails with them and they seem very open to suggestions for the product, so I'm hoping for some command line options to make script integration easier. BTW, I'm currently working on a offline filing script for Humax recordings which works in a similar way to the DvrOnTime one...
Sounds very interesting

Wow I'm also impressed by AdBreaker, I 've just done a quick test with 3 films, one from ITV HD, one from C4 HD and the other from C5 HD. The results were cut perfect and quickly plus it preserves the DVB subtitles ;) This is a big improvement over what I was doing previously. It also works with .mt2s file extensions now too! Cheers @Black Cloud

Back