AdBreaker

Having a play with adbreaker this morning. The version I'm running doesn't combine split films, which is a shame. I was hoping to retire VideoReDo

Having a play with adbreaker this morning. The version I'm running doesn't combine split films, which is a shame. I was hoping to retire VideoReDo
Try just concatenating the two parts together first.

The developers are reported to be responsive, so perhaps they just need a nudge to make this a native operation.

Last edited:
n.b While it does now pickup .m2ts files for processing, they are not removed from the watch directory and the generated CUT files are .ts as AdBreaker cannot reconstitute .m2ts files currently...

I've noticed that it appears to pick up open files and try to crop them. I had it pointing at the DVROnTime output folder and it tried to crop programs while they were still recording (V1.06).
I've emailed them to let them know but it's easy enough to to move the files to another directory when the recording is complete and then process them.
I've had mixed results with the cropping accuracy on channels like SKY Arts but moving the file produced by DVROnTime (as .m2ts renamed to .ts) to an HDRFOX-T2 box, creating the sidecar files and then running ad detection produces a similar result so neither produce 100% accurate results but that's to be expected given the nature of the beast.
Personally, I like to retain the original files with adverts in case the automated cropping wasn't successful and parts are missing from the cropped version. I found it useful that the .m2ts files were not deleted after cropping but again, it's no problem to copy the original files to the AdBreaker input directory so the original file with adverts is left intact.
Other things I've noticed is that you have to remove the program and re-install in order to change the input/output folders (if there's another way to do it please let me know). Again, given that it's not the sort of thing you need to do every day I can live with it.
Overall, I like it's simplicity, I gave up with MCEBuddy and Comskip due to their complexity.

I've noticed that it appears to pick up open files and try to crop them. I had it pointing at the DVROnTime output folder and it tried to crop programs while they were still recording.
TeeHeeHee, I've seen it do that when it's started up during a recording. If you leave it running, it does it again properly when the recording stops, and then it's okay after that.

I've noticed that it appears to pick up open files and try to crop them. I had it pointing at the DVROnTime output folder and it tried to crop programs while they were still recording (V1.06).
Actually it would be nice if it did that deliberately to allow us to start viewing cropped recordings while the recording is still in progress like detectads chaserun mode.

Actually it would be nice if it did that deliberately to allow us to start viewing cropped recordings while the recording is still in progress like detectads chaserun mode.
Yes, but it appears to just stop when it reaches the EOF as it sees it rather than tracking the rest of the recording to it's end.

Other things I've noticed is that you have to remove the program and re-install in order to change the input/output folders (if there's another way to do it please let me know). Again, given that it's not the sort of thing you need to do every day I can live with it.

At the start menu, type REGEDIT. It doesn't have to be in capitals, that's
just my way of marking what to type.

Windows 10 will offer you the Registry Editor App. Open it.

From the EDIT menu, select FIND. The shortcut key is CTRL+F.

Type ABUK in the search box, and select KEYS, and ENTER to execute the
search.

The first result may be in the LOCAL_MACHINE part of the registry. If that
is the case, continue the search by pressing F3. You need the entry in the
CURRENT_USER section of the registry, where the full name is
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ABUK.

Within you will find two entries holding the source and destination folders.
Double click on the one you wish to change. You may edit these, with the
proviso that you include a full path and end it with a backslash. A full
path means it starts with a drive letter, eg. D:\Recorded TV, or a server
name, eg. \\servername\sharedfolder. No quotation marks are required, and
spaces are allowed.

And finally, you must restart AdBreaker for the change to take effect.

At the start menu, type REGEDIT. It doesn't have to be in capitals, that's
just my way of marking what to type.

Windows 10 will offer you the Registry Editor App. Open it.

From the EDIT menu, select FIND. The shortcut key is CTRL+F.

Type ABUK in the search box, and select KEYS, and ENTER to execute the
search.

The first result may be in the LOCAL_MACHINE part of the registry. If that
is the case, continue the search by pressing F3. You need the entry in the
CURRENT_USER section of the registry, where the full name is
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ABUK.

Within you will find two entries holding the source and destination folders.
Double click on the one you wish to change. You may edit these, with the
proviso that you include a full path and end it with a backslash. A full
path means it starts with a drive letter, eg. D:\Recorded TV, or a server
name, eg. \\servername\sharedfolder. No quotation marks are required, and
spaces are allowed.

And finally, you must restart AdBreaker for the change to take effect.
Thanks dearleuk, I looked to see if there was an .ini file or something similar in the program folder that I could change but forgot about the Windows registry.

Confirmed. 106 doesn't combine split films, like previous versions did! I've emailed them to complain.
They tell me that they are still working on it to include recordings from other tuners, and must have inadvertently made a mistake. They apologised! What nice people. They expect it to be fixed in 107.

Just has this email from Adbreaker. I don't record M2TS, no idea why they thought I do, but can anyone answer the questions?

We understand that are you are using M2TS files with AdBreaker, and we have two questions for you.

As you know, AdBreaker does not delete the original M2TS file because it is unable to reinstate it if there is a problem. If asked to reinstate, AdBreaker will produce a TS file. M2TS files are not an option that we can provide at the moment.

So, would you prefer AdBreaker to delete M2TS files anyway?

And, could you explain the advantages that you are gaining by using M2TS files instead of the broadcast standard TS files?

Jean, R&D.

Back