AdBreaker

Jt would be more useful if DVRonTime created recordings in m2ts format but with a .ts file extension
is that "But"?

I don't think they should do something weird just to accommodate somebody else's weirdness.

Yes I know what the file format is, I was just wondering why you chose it
I don't understand what you're getting at. HDR-FOX recordings are M2TS (no choice), and unless a program can self-detect you signal the format by the extension. It is an aberration that the HDR-FOX sticks on .TS rather than .M2TS.

Last edited:
One peculiarity I've noticed.

If you copy Surrogates 20210523.ts and Surrogates 1 20210523.ts both together and windows decides to copy Surrogates 1 20210523.ts first, the film doesn't get joined
Done some experiments today and can confirm that if the FilmName 1 20210523.ts is copied first and FilmName 20210523.ts after, they won't get joined. The other way around and they get joined everytime.

Not a problem for me, as I very rarely record comercial progames on the Humax anymore

Is anyone else having issues with lip sync? The part after the advert is cropped, the lip sync is off, a quick rewind sorts it out, but wondered if anyone else is having the same problem?

Yes, I have, but I don't notice it often, and it's only adrift by about one tv frame. Also, there is sometimes a very small hole in the sound just after the edit. That's when using my Fox T2 for playback.

Previously, when I used VLC on Windows for playback, the adbreaker stuff I recorded from Sky Arts used to slip by as much as several seconds, particularly after a picture breakup. My reception of the mux that Sky is on is a bit iffy.

I've been using a beta version for around two months now (previous version crashed and wouldn't start even with a uninstall) and the lip sync is perfect even on CH5 which as the worst offender

Good to know this is still been developed

Do we know if it's still being developed? I did hear back from them a few times re: suggestions, but it seems to have gone very quiet in terms of software updates...

Do we know if it's still being developed? I did hear back from them a few times re: suggestions, but it seems to have gone very quiet in terms of software updates...
Here is what they said about the beta version

Channels 3, 4 and 5 (on HD) have changed the way they are encoded, and the newer version of AdBreaker has a modified cutting routine to suit them. It does seem to work better than previously.

@dearleuk Thanks for that. I did email them and got the following response "Yes, R&D are still working on AdBreaker. There is a new version in the beta test phase right now, due for release as soon as they are happy with it." 😊

@sceptic You must have nudged them. There is a new version posted on their webisite already.👍 https://www.AdBreaker.UK

Latest Version 140 released on Monday 26 June 2023:
  1. New detector to match current encoding methods on ITV1 HD, C4 HD, and C5 HD channels
  2. Fix for audio lipsync errors
  3. Improved detection of Audio Description and Subtitle tracks
  4. Generates an additional log file when a serious failure occurs
  5. Improved detection of adbreaks within news bulletins
  6. Enhanced detector for American sit-coms with short scenes
  7. Displays available disk space
  8. Improved processing efficiency
  9. Improved detection for DvrOnTime split films
  10. Added detection for Humax and Kodi split films
  11. Adjusted EPD parameters for better results
  12. Fixed minor bugs in EPD code
  13. Fix for unusual characters in filenames (£, etc)

Last edited:
FYI. I asked them what logic Adbreaker is currently using for split recordings and the answer I got was:-

DvrOnTime:
AdBreaker looks at each title for the existence of the phrase "S0E0", denoting that the programme is a one-off or film, and notes whether there is a solitary "1" also in the title. Then AdBreaker checks for another matching title, with or without the "1", and if found, joins the two parts together, in the correct order.
Kodi:
AdBreaker looks for matching titles, where the sole difference is "part1_" or "part2_", and joins them in that order.
Humax:
AdBreaker looks for titles where the name and date are identical, but the time is different. When found, AdBreaker joins the two parts in chronological order. There is a known problem here, when a film starts shortly before midnight and the second part starts after midnight, as the date will be different, and AdBreaker doesn't recognise the similarity.
If you are using Windows to copy files into a folder that AdBreaker is watching, then Windows often copies the second part first. This used to be a problem for AdBreaker, but that is fixed now.

I'd previously requested Kodi as that is the format I use in my script which renames my DvrOntime recordings, so it's good to see that is supported now too 😀

Why doesn't it just look at the CRIDs in the EPG data? Seems much more reliable than the vague stuff mentioned.
And surely it's not that difficult a programming task to resolve dates/times of things that cross midnight.

Why doesn't it just look at the CRIDs in the EPG data?
DvrOnTime, for one, strips the EPG data from the TS file before is it recorded, so that would be one good reason not to do it your "much more reliable" way.

Do you often use your Humax to record split films that start at 11:30pm? Which broadcaster does that? I've been using AdBreaker for nearly 18 months now, and it has never happened to me.

And surely it's not that difficult a programming task to resolve dates/times of things that cross midnight.
I think they will fix this at some point. At the end of the day I can live with the quirks as the actual ad-removal results with this software are so good already.

I think they will fix this at some point. At the end of the day I can live with the quirks as the actual ad-removal results with this software are so good already.
The correct approach would be to respect the 4 hour rule, if the second recording starts within 4 hours of the end of previous it is a split recording, if longer leave them separate.

Anyone know how automatically delete the _ads files

Not a major issue to delete manually, but I've never had to use them

Still really impressed with this program

Can't help you with that one. I'm still hoping they'll add proper command line options so we can script around that. I also wish it ran as a service. It is excellent at the detection and removal we just need the some options to better control and integrate it...

Back