advertising hummy.tv

I agree that we need to raise the profile of this site.

I support RedEarth that we need to find ways of getting Google searches for "Hummy" to point to us.

The question is "how?".

Hello - not sure if this is still relevant but I stumbled across this thread and then did a quick google for "humax forums" today and this site still doesn't get much of a listing other than a reference to some links to the radio & telly website. But one thing I did notice is that the page title only says "hummy.tv". One thing I found when trying to get an old site of mine moved up the results was to make sure that the page title had the same words in it that I expected people to search for. Using the tag <title> <\title> come up with a page title with both 'Humax' and 'forum' in it and it should get picked up by the bots.

Then get the meta content info right so in that you can include perhaps all the name variations and model numbers e.g. "Humax, Hummy, HDR Fox, HDR Fox T2, PVR9200 etc etc

I'm not a web expert I just googled search engine placement and found this out as I went along so apologies if I get some of the syntax wrong but for an old site of mine for a Dog Grooming business we had I put this in the pages...

<meta content="Dog, Dog Grooming, Dog Groom, Dog Groomer, Dog Groomers, grooming, groomer, groomers, pet care,
pet services"
name="keywords">

and

<meta content="A qualified, fully trained, professional dog grooming service to the Northampton area" name="description">
so that meant anyone searching for any of the words in the content or the desciption would get a result from this meta data.

Therefore if we get the content to include the words Humax, Forum and all the model numbers and then get the description to state what we're all about it should get us a better result in the listings. Hope this proves useful. Oijonesey

OK I just went and looked at what's set up on the main page and the title is

<title>hummy.tv<\title>

I would say change this to something like

<title>hummy.tv - a discussion forum and help reference for owners of Humax AV equipment<\title>

or basically anything with the words Humax and Forum in it.

There is already a Description tag but no keywords. Definitely get the keywords in there to get better placement.

I think the syntax (now I've checked the site source today) would be

Code:
meta name "keywords" content "Humax, Hummy, PVR, Help, Discussion, Forum, PVR9150, PVR9200, PVR9300, Foxast HD, Foxsat HDR, HD Fox T2, HDR Fox T2, Freesat, Freeview, Freeview HD, Freeview+, Freeview+HD, iplayer"

If anything else comes to mind that you want people who type something to find this site then stick it in (including mis-spellings!)

Hopefully see you at the top of the search results!! :)

I've changed the page title and added some keywords - Feel free to provide more suggestions!

Michael

OK thanks. I think the site is already indexed by google because the radio and telly thread page did come up so hopefully give it a few days for the bots to find this new meta data and we'll see how we do.

Good news - google "humax help" and this site now gets onto the first page of results (albeit right at the bottom but still the first page nevertheless). BTW I'm not counting the sponsored results in my positions.

Not exhaustive testing but to test the water this morning...

"HDR fox t2 help" now puts us about halfway down the second page of results
"foxsat help" gets us about halfway down on page 1
"foxsat hdr help" gets us at the top of page 2
"humax forum" gets us halfway down page 1 but for some reason it's latched onto the radio and telly posts and you have to click 'More Results' to see the rest of the pages.

I have no proof of this but I am a believer in the suggestion that google keeps track of what people search for and also what they eventually click to, and they use this as one of the factors in their placement algorithms. So if you do test searching for anything to see if this site appears also click on what you think is the most appropriate result when you find it!

I also noticed that I typed "foxast HD" instead of "foxsat HD" - this ought to be corrected in the meta keywords please.

And I'm not obsessive honestly! But I do like to share something that is good. Now I'm off to check the curtains are exactly 3" apart, turn the light switches on and off 5 times each and wash my hands twenty times!! Wibble!

haha - I don't mind - it saves me having to look into things - so just pass the suggestions on and as long as they're not big jobs - i can do changes no problem.

Thanks,

Michael

And I'm not obsessive honestly! But I do like to share something that is good. Now I'm off to check the curtains are exactly 3" apart, turn the light switches on and off 5 times each and wash my hands twenty times!! Wibble!

And I thought I was OCD!

Latest google positions (just somewhere for me to track if anything is improving really, but you can hum the fluff freeman pick of the pops music to yourself if you like)

Humax (UK results)
30/11 - not on first 30 pages!! Did 2nd Nov problem knock us out?
27/10 - Page 14 #7 - up 4
21/10 - Page 15 #1 - up 23
11/10 - Page 18 #4 - down 10
04/10 - Page 17 #4 - up 5
27/09 - Not in first 40 pages! Whats happened here? [EDIT set to world not UK]
20/09 - Page 17 #9 - down 10
16/09 - Page 16 #9 - up 15
15/09 - Page 18 #4
12/09 - Page 18 #5

Humax help (world results)
30/11 - Page 1 #2 - up 2
27/10 - Page 1 #4 - no move
21/10 - Page 1 # 4 - up 8
11/10 - Page 2 #2 - down 4
04/10 - Page 1 #8 - up 2
27/09 - Page 1 #10 - down 1
20/09 - Page 1 #9 - no move
15/09 - Page 1 #9 - up 2
12/09 - Page 2 #1
09/09 - Page 1 #10

Humax Forum (world results)
30/11 - Page 1 #6 - down 1
27/10 - Page 1 #5 - no move
21/10 - Page 1 #5 - no move
11/10 - Page 1 #5 - no move
04/10 - Page 1 #5 - up 5
27/09 - Page 1 #10 - no move
20/09 - Page 1 #10 - down 1
15/09 - Page 1 #9 - down 2
12/09 - Page 1 #7
09/09 - Page 1 #6
07/09 - Page 1 #6

HDR Fox T2 (world results)
30/11 - Page 3 #5 - down 3
27/10 - Page 3 #2 - no move
21/10 - Page 3 #2 - up 1
11/10 - Page 3 #3 - up 2
04/10 - Page 3 #5 - up 11
27/09 - Page 4 #6 - down 7
20/09 - Page 3 #9 - down 6
15/09 - Page 3 #3 - up 2
12/09 - Page 3 #5
09/09 - Page 5 #3

HDR Fox t2 Help (world results)
30/10 - Page 1 - #10 - up 2
27/10 - Page 2 #2 - up 1
21/10 - Page 2 #3 - down 1
11/10 - Page 2 #2 - up 3
04/10 - Page 2 #5 - no move
27/09 - Page 2 #5 - no move
20/09 - Page 2 #5 - down 1
15/09 - Page 2 #4 - no move
12/09 - Page 2 #4
09/09 - Page 2 #6
07/09 - Page 2 #6

FoxSat HDR (world results)
30/11 - Page 10 #3 - down 32
27/10 - Page 7 #1 - up 2
21/10 - Page 7 #3 - up 5
11/10 - Page 7 #8 - down 4
04/10 - Page 7 #4 - down 1
27/09 - Page 7 #3 - up 10
20/09 - Page 8 #3 - down 8
15/09 - Page 7 #5- up 9
12/09 - Page 8 #4
09/09 - Page 8 #3

FoxSat help (world results)
30/11 - Page 1 #5 - down 2
27/10 - Page 1 #3 - no move
21/10 - Page 1 #3 - up 4
11/10 - Page 1 # 7 - down 1
04/10 - Page 1 #6 - down 1
27/09 - Page 1 #5 - down 1
20/09 - Page 1 #4 - no move
15/09 - Page 1 #4 - up 1
12/09 - Page 1 #5
09/09 - Page 1 #5

Alexa Page Rank for hummy.tv
30/11 - 2,491,245 - down 908,390!!
27/10 - 1,582,855 - Up 7,217
21/10 - 1,590,072 - Down 123,623
11/10 - 1,466,449 - Down 1,148
04/10 - 1,465,301 - Down 96,254
27/09 - 1.369,047 - Up 57,502!
23/09 - 1,426,549

Alexa Sites Linking In (updated monthly, tracking to see when in the month)
30/11 - 22
21/10 - 17
11/10 - 16
04/10 - 16

In my now very nearly obsessive quest to promote this site I have submitted it to The Open Directory project (dmoz.org) which is something that factors in the placement of all the major search engines (even google AFAIK). It could take some months for it to get approved but once it does it should make a difference hopefully.

Can I get these meta lines updated on the front page please Michael?

<meta name="description" content="Humax help, forums, owners advice, product help, discussions and software updates for Humax Set Top Boxes and PVRs" />

<meta name "keywords" content "Humax, Hummy, PVR, STB, Humax Help, Humax Discussion, Humax Forum, HDR Fox T2, HD Fox T2, Foxsat HDR, Foxsat HD, PVR9150, PVR9200, PVR9300, Freesat, Freeview, Freeview HD, Freeview+, Freeview+HD, iplayer" />

The other thing we could try is based on the idea that despite the meta data a lot of search engine crawlers look at at the text on the page itself. So at the moment we have some mention of Humax in the forum titles, but the first thing a crawler finds that is text is the hummy.tv words in black (the home button at the top left is an image I think?)

If we can get the actual text we used for the title as near to the top of the page as we can I think the crawlers will like that. So if I can try to describe it we have the forum menu bar with Forums, Wiki, Members etc, under that is a pale blue bar with forums written on it, then under that is the word "hummy.tv" - perhaps we could make this read

hummy.tv - a discussion forum and help reference for owners of Humax AV equipment

so we have it matching the meta data as well? I'm not sure how well these will work but I'm reminding myself that SEO is a war of attrition and there is no quick way! Nevertheless I shall carry on in the spirit of my avatar at Umboto Gorge!

Thanks, Oijonesey

Thanks Michael. Hope you're feeling better. I don't mind if you didn't want to do it but there was also the hummy.tv title in bold black?...

So if I can try to describe it we have the forum menu bar with Forums, Wiki, Members etc, under that is a pale blue bar with forums written on it, then under that is the word "hummy.tv" - perhaps we could make this read

"hummy.tv - a discussion forum and help reference for owners of Humax AV equipment"

As far as I can tell in the html source it is the line <div class="boardTitle"><strong>hummy.tv</strong></div> but please check that in case I've quoted the wrong bit of code. I can't tell if that can be edited or if it is generated by the overall forum platform. If it's not practical to do then no probs but I think if the crawlers can find relevant words in the body of the pages it helps the site scoring.

Latest results based on googling the test terms already listed earlier on in the thread...

5 up - a total of 15 places gained overall for the 5 risers
1 down - only 2 places and still on page 1
1 non mover - but still on page 2

"Alright? Not arf"

Good work everyone :)

Oijoinsey, I've had a look and cannot change the bit you're talking about because it changes when you're within a thread to the title of the thread - we'll have to think of something else i recon.

Thanks,

Michael

OK no worries - I wasn't sure if that bit was do-able. I do have another cunning plan but I may not need to use it yet...

OK well it's a noddy trick really - you just add the text immediately to the right of the hummy.tv home button - but make the text the same colour as the background so it doesn't affect the look of the page! Daft really! Or you could show the text if you like.

Things are definitely working because now when you search Humax Help in google the result is now this

hummy.tv | a discussion forum and help reference for owners of ...

hummy.tv/forum/ - Cached
Humax help, forums, owners advice, product help, discussions and software updates for Humax Set Top Boxes and PVRs.

So instead of it finding thread info it has now indexed the meta description that was put on yesterday. I reckon once dmoz registers the combination of the two should get us in a good place.

One other thing I thought of was to try and include a link to hummy.tv from the Humax page in wikipedia - but would that be a good idea? Would Humax get grumpy about a link to a site that hacks their box and their encryption? Maybe that's a bit too close to the 'golden egg' fable!! What do you think?

Back