Amusing Items

Strap line on ITV's GMB
IMG_20240730_063906673_MFNR~3.jpg
So now we know who's responsible! (Whichever way you want to read it). Of course Labour are always going to blame the Conservatives and vice versa. Nothing new there. Unless they are referring to the BH of this parish.

Yes, I've definitely got them worried. Sorry folks, I'm now going to get the blame for all the self-inflicted austerity coming down the track.

Best laugh I've had for a while:

7F423BBD-2D89-44EB-A7B0-580B42A8D8C1.jpeg

There were tales, from the days of street trams powered by overhead electric cables, of leaky insulators and dogs getting a nasty surprise when they cocked a leg against the pole, but this is a new one!

We had a party line for a while, but can't remember an earth spike. A thin wire from the junction box, through the front door frame and across a small amount of brickwork and into the ground. Nothing obvious and nowhere to tie a dog (even if we had one). I always thought dogs got a shock from faulty lampposts. I do know my old head of research got some consultancy from the local tram consortium regarding EM and other interference with underground cables etc. No mention of dogs though.

We had a party line for a while, but can't remember an earth spike. A thin wire from the junction box, through the front door frame and across a small amount of brickwork and into the ground. Nothing obvious and nowhere to tie a dog (even if we had one). I always thought dogs got a shock from faulty lampposts. I do know my old head of research got some consultancy from the local tram consortium regarding EM and other interference with underground cables etc. No mention of dogs though.

My father used to get n Australian electronics magazine which had a section every month entitled "The Serviceman Who Tells". The writer of the section was a radio & TV servicemen in Sydney, and would relate stories of unusual faults that came his way, and how he diagnosed and fixed them. He would also periodically include stories from fellow service men and others in the general trade. One story related to a telephone engineer having to deal with telephone lines to outback homesteads. Many of these lines were a single wire with earth return, so at best the circuit was not great. The distances involved meant that everyone had to repeat the ringing code as the distances were such that the hand crank generator could generate just enough voltage to get to the homesteads each side. Apparently when it was known that there was noone at a particular homestead then people would resort to taking the crank off and attempting to generate extra volts by attaching an electric drill to the generator, not realising that the generator had a governor so that the generator couldn't be turned too fast and generate a frequency that was too high to ring the bells.

I made the mistake of opening an online account with the local Building Society. They keep pestering me with emails regarding a survey. I've chosen not to bother filling it in, but was rather amused by the following question:
Screenshot_20240923-140127~2.png
If only I could find a long German word...

I made the mistake of opening an online account with the local Building Society. They keep pestering me with emails regarding a survey. I've chosen not to bother filling it in, but was rather amused by the following question:
View attachment 7214
If only I could find a long German word...

The full chemical name for the human protein titin is 189,819 letters, and takes up to three-and-a-half hours to pronounce.​

Floccinaucinihilipilification​

By virtue of having one more letter than antidisestablishmentarianism, this is the longest non-technical English word. A mash-up of five Latin elements, it refers to the act of describing something as having little or no value. While it made the cut in the Oxford English Dictionary, Merriam-Webster volumes refuse to recognize it, chalking up its existence to little more than linguistic ephemera.

Last edited:
I was looking for a long word to express "how you feel". There ought to be a long word for that. If I wanted just any long word Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu
would do. And it's difficult to pronounce!

I was looking for a long word to express "how you feel". There ought to be a long word for that. If I wanted just any long word Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu
would do. And it's difficult to pronounce!
After a very quick look "describing something as having little or no value." was the most apt I saw in English.

Looks Kiwi? Def. not German.
Of course, my original comment was hoping to find a German word - because they have a habit of creating one long word for an idea - to express "how you feel". trog chucked in a chemical name from Latin not German. I decided to show off with a Maori word.
Doesn't really matter, I hate surveys with silly questions so I'm not filling it in. But asking for one word and providing 200 spaces was a challenge.

On the subject of long German words - in the latest Private Eye someone sent in a photo of an Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher! Google Translate -> Eggshells causing breaking points. An egg topper.

Back