Amusing Items

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/dec/11/fungi-and-flatworms-scientists-call-for-greater-emoji-biodiversity said:
Anderson said she wanted emojis for organisms such as aquatic fungi as reflections of increased public awareness and indicators of their ecological value.
Somebody's got their head up their arse!

Britain said they wanted emojis for Albanians, inflatable boats and torpedo's as reflections of increased public awareness and indicators of their lack of validity for asylum.

Quote from a recent Scientific American article on quantum decryption:

Quantum computers look impressive – they dangle from the ceiling like massive gold chandeliers – but they're still not very powerful. Scientists have been able to run computations with only a modest number of qubits, and the largest number they have factored on a quantum computer using Shor's algorithm is 21.

That quoted write up doesn't make quantum computers look impressive at all, whether they dangle from the ceiling or not. All talk and no substance!

doesn't make quantum computers look impressive at all
The first aeroplanes weren't impressive either. Then you do more development.

Personally I think AI is going to be the big computer issue long before quantum computers are out of the lab.

Had to laugh when having a medication review (by phone). Instead of consulting with a GP, as usual, it is now with an in-house pharmacist. Discussing measuring blood pressure at home the pharmacist said "take three readings and record the middle one". What's the point of the third reading? Unless she meant the middle value. I shall ignore this advice as it contradicts instructions from the senior GP (take an odd number of readings and record the best one).

Why does that require an odd number?!!
I've no idea! Just following (medical) doctor's orders.
More fun. In the medication review (yesterday) I was told to retake a blood test early next week. Today, whilst I was shopping, a text message arrived from NHS-NoReply. (Even with ringer fairly loud and phone on vibrate as well, I didn't know about message until an hour after it was sent!). Apparently I have a routine message waiting at reception. And the message is...retake blood test next week. Don't they read their own consultation notes? I do! Big practice, 16 GPs, various nurses/healthcare assistants and pharmacists. Never deal with the same person twice! But the notes are there. Oh well, better told twice than not at all! :)

And the message is...retake blood test next week. Don't they read their own consultation notes?
I have to go for regular blood tests at the hospital. I agree the next appointment with them verbally at that point and they write it on the (large) appointment card (I'm on to my 4th one now - the joy of Covid related legacy). Then I get a text telling me there's an online letter, so I read that (sometimes, as I already know now what it's going to say), or it says you can opt to have this printed/sent if you can't go online (I don't). A week later a letter arrives in the post, which is the print-out of the thing I didn't opt for. The day before the appointment they send me a reminder text telling me when my appointment is.

Had to laugh when having a medication review (by phone). Instead of consulting with a GP, as usual, it is now with an in-house pharmacist. Discussing measuring blood pressure at home the pharmacist said "take three readings and record the middle one". What's the point of the third reading? Unless she meant the middle value. I shall ignore this advice as it contradicts instructions from the senior GP (take an odd number of readings and record the best one).
I just get a text telling me to take 3 home readings and then phone back and give all 3 to the receptionist.

Last time I had a BP test (in the surgery) they just kept taking it until they got a reading they were happy with!

Last time I had a BP test (in the surgery) they just kept taking it until they got a reading they were happy with!
That's effectively what I've been told to do at home. But why an odd number of readings?
I just get a text telling me to take 3 home readings and then phone back and give all 3 to the receptionist.
I'm due to get a text message with a hyperlink to somewhere that enters some readings directly into my notes. Unless told otherwise I'll pick the best of an odd number to enter.

Back