Amusing Items

By keeping identities separate, it is less likely data can be aggregated.
Point taken!
Fortunately, if someone does look up my real name including title they quite often end up with somebody in the USA with exactly the same name and qualifications. That adds to the confusion. Who knows what information Google has managed to aggregate on us all? I no longer use Google for searches, but I notice when accessing most webpages that a connection is made to google.somethingorother.
Unfortunately, an increasing number of senior moments does limit my ability to remember too many identities and passwords.:)

I've largely stopped being paranoid about my forum activity. I only use about half a dozen regularly and only post a few times a week in total, so I doubt Google or the Russians or Chinese or Americans or GCHQ will get much useful info from that. I'm more concerned about shop sites I have to give my full, real, info to (because of payment validation). I consider them to be a potential weak link.

I do generally turn off tracking and advertising cookies on sites visited when possible, but not because I'm really worried about them, just that targeted advertising seems futile (for me anyway). I tend to search and decide - end. So pestering me with related ads that are no longer relevant is just a waste of space. I'd rather see something new/different which occasionally piques my interest.

Targeted advertising is a pain. It seems that Google has linked me and the wife in such a way that when I search Christmas presents for her, she sees them as targeted adverts. It spoils the surprise!
I will obviously have to watch out when buying presents for the mistress .

My name is 2 nicknames from school. I use it on several forums when I don't use my real name. I got the spelling wrong from the onset, but have stuck with it nevertheless.

It is in these parts.
So, what do you call a crusty roll in those parts? That's the difference between a bap and a cob - they're both bread rolls, but the former is soft, flatter, and a bit floury while the latter is not squashed and has an unfloured hard crust. You wouldn't put a burger in a cob (although, actually, I quite fancy that).

Around Liverpool there are "bin lids", which are basically huge baps, and "barms" which are only large baps. (As far as I can make out, that's so you can put either a builder's breakfast or a huge breakfast in them, respectively.)

In any case, whatever you call it, I call a foul and put money on that photo being a put-up job.

If you want to add to the confusion see https://www.lovefood.com/gallerylist/67776/batch-barm-cob-or-bap-what-do-you-call-a-bread-roll
www.lovefood.com said:
When is a bread roll not a bread roll? When it's a bap, a batch, a buttery, a roll or a rowie...
[Barm]: Popular in the north-west of England, a barm cake isn’t, confusingly, a cake, but a soft, round, white bread roll. The ‘barm’ describes the foam resulting from fermenting alcohol, which was traditionally used to leaven bread, though most modern versions don’t use it. It's typically the carby-container of a ‘chip barm’ – a chip buttie often found in fish and chip shops – or a ‘pasty barm’ in Bolton, where a pasty filling takes centre stage...
[Cob]: All around the UK, from North Wales, north Norfolk and the northwest to northern Scotland and the East Midlands, you'll often hear a bread roll called a cob. Locals claim it's the original word to describe a roll, since it's been in use since 1616, when it described a rounded heap or mass...
[Bap]:Vying with cob as the main alternative, 'bap' is used in London, the northeast, Northern Ireland and much of south Wales. Die-hard bap-lovers distinguish a bap as a softer bread roll with minimal crust, but in its luxe variants – with butter or lard added – they begin to resemble French brioche...
So, what do you call a crusty roll in those parts?
Crusty cob :D (or a crusty roll).

Lidl currently have a "special" running: a WiFi security camera... featuring PoE. Derrr!!! :dunno:

Hmm. WiFi and PoE would seem to be mutually exclusive. I can't find the special on the website so can't see the exact wording. Must be capable of being operated WiFi with some sort of power source or via an ethernet connection and powered that way. I :dunno: either.

Back