AR Effectiveness Survey

A tad confused. If you only record HD should the answer to 10 be N/A ?.
Since Q.10 has been changed to
10. When you have recorded on AR, have you routinely had "failed to track" errors on the channels mentioned above (Yes/No/NA)?
I do Not routinely have "failed to track" errors so have selected No. I think that I have only had about 6 "failed to track" errors since purchasing my first HDR almost 16 months ago.

Since Q.10 has been changed to

I do Not routinely have "failed to track" errors so have selected No. I think that I have only had about 6 "failed to track" errors since purchasing my first HDR almost 16 months ago.

It's what's meant by the channels above that confuses. Q8 refers to other than ---. Q9 refers only to HD channels. I only record HD channels so in Q8 I don't record any other thans.

It's what's meant by the channels above that confuses. Q8 refers to other than ---. Q9 refers only to HD channels. I only record HD channels so in Q8 I don't record any other thans.
I think that Black Hole needs to clarify what he is asking.;)

A tad confused. If you only record HD should the answer to 10 be N/A ?.
I answered this from the point of view of I'm doing this from memory rather than a definitive test so although by preference I always record HD if I can, I do still record SD stuff (Kids TV, stuff on +1 channels if I've missed the start of something, Film4 etc) so most of my stuff is HD but not all. Either way I've not had failed to track messages that I don't already know the reason for, or so few I haven't noticed them to the same frequency as BH has.

I don't see any real confusion. Any respondents using exclusively padding will reply "NA" because the question is not applicable. For anyone else the question is simple: do you or do you not have AR failures that can be regarded as more than one-offs, on the channels we currently regard as worth the risk.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for any response from somebody who's given up on AR as a bad job (apart from me). We have anecdotal evidence they're out there!

Just thought a picture of the distibution of contributors would be interesting IMAGE, Sorry for using Image Shack but inserting images directly into the page doesn't work for me and I get a broken image symbol when viewing other people's

Edit :- Changed to Tiny Pic (No adverts.)

I had a google about to try and educate myself on AR and Schedule Tracking (were they two names for the same thing or different to begin with) and came across a link on another forum to this document http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/102300_102399/102323/01.04.01_60/ts_102323v010401p.pdf which in Chapter 11 at least offers some info that might be something to dig into. I'm no clever clogs but it reads like there are flavours of AR which just track time, and those which track event ID. It cites a field called 'identifier_type' which if set to 00 will just activate at the prescribed times regardless of what the running order is doing on the channel. If set to 01 or 10 then event ID becomes relevant.

So, knowing there is a data field that relates to AR can we find out what the value was for successful or failed recordings? And would this help? Don't know, just trying to chip in!!

And there is a very interesting flow chart at 12.2 that gives an example logic for how a recorder might decide how/what/when to record stuff - especially when ID info is incomplete or missing. What if the Failed To Track error is when a change to the stream ID data arrives after the recording has started? For end points on overruns I guess that has to be allowable but if some of the less mainstream channels got something wrong in the update might that cause a FTT file?

Graham, I have changed your answer no 10 to N/A for you.
Thanks Brian
smilie.png

Now I'm even more confused!

Q8 says (and I have not altered it): "8. Do you record channels other than HiDef or BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 StDef (Yes/No)?"

The revised Q10 says: "10. When you have recorded on AR, have you routinely had "failed to track" errors on the channels mentioned above (Yes/No/NA)?"

So, especially after my clarification in Post 26, is it only me that reads this that Graham's answer to 10 should be "No"?? It matters not. I know what you mean and will therefore interpret appropriately.

Just thought a picture of transmitter coverage would be interesting IMAGE, Sorry for using Image Shack but inserting images directly into the page doesn't work for me and I get a broken image symbol when viewing other people's
That link has not worked for me :(

I had a google about to try and educate myself on AR and Schedule Tracking (were they two names for the same thing or different to begin with) and came across a link on another forum to this document http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/102300_102399/102323/01.04.01_60/ts_102323v010401p.pdf which in Chapter 11 at least offers some info that might be something to dig into. I'm no clever clogs but it reads like there are flavours of AR which just track time, and those which track event ID. It cites a field called 'identifier_type' which if set to 00 will just activate at the prescribed times regardless of what the running order is doing on the channel. If set to 01 or 10 then event ID becomes relevant.

So, knowing there is a data field that relates to AR can we find out what the value was for successful or failed recordings? And would this help? Don't know, just trying to chip in!!
And there is a very interesting flow chart at 12.2 that gives an example logic for how a recorder might decide how/what/when to record stuff - especially when ID info is incomplete or missing. What if the Failed To Track error is when a change to the stream ID data arrives after the recording has started? For end points on overruns I guess that has to be allowable but if some of the less mainstream channels got something wrong in the update might that cause a FTT file?
I always like more info, but I'm not sure if it matters exactly how a broadcast buggers up the AR (presuming it does).

Newbie, to forum and Fox HDR T2 but willing to help with tests my side.

1. Mendip
2. No
3. Dont know
4. No
5. No
6. Dont know
7. No
8. Yes
9. No
10. N/A

Crucial:- to try and clear up some of your 'Don't Knows / NAs. For Q6 in the Menu >> Settings >> Preferencies >> Recording >> if both Start and End padding are set to OFF then padding is OFF, This means that Accurate Recording or AR is ON. For Q10 have you had many recordings that are not viewable? they may be marked as 'Failed to track' or some similar comment

Back