AR Effectiveness Survey

That confirms my worst fears: there's something odd unique to me. So somebody explain why some AR recordings complete successfully and others don't? I've seen some recordings start when I stop doing something else with the box, Sherlock has repeatedly failed to record even though the box was in stand-by at the time (and I know it started up 15 mins prior), and Weatherview has been reliable except for two nights at Christmas when the box is usually idling having been turned on for server duties (or might be serving at the time).

That confirms my worst fears: there's something odd unique to me.

I imagine it won't be entirely straightforward, but temporarily adding a disk and aerial to your HD would help narrow the scope to either your aerial/transmitter/environment or HDR box.

Running the HD in tandem - will take a bit of organising. Meanwhile, to humour the gathering vultures:

48: 77/100
52: 70/100
54: 77/100
58: 76/100
61: 75/100
67: 52/100

Running the HD in tandem - will take a bit of organising. Meanwhile, to humour the gathering vultures:

48: 77/100
52: 70/100
54: 77/100
58: 76/100
61: 75/100
67: 52/100
I thought you said you were on Mendip which would be (as I read the Digital UK data) 48,52, 54, 56,58, 61.

I think you must have mis-read it. 67 changes to 56 at the next re-tune (28 March).
This is what I see at Digital UK:

Mendip COM channel change, mode change and power-up 28 September 2011 61 54 48 56 52 58

but I am not local so it could well be wrong for all I know.

That's wierd. Explain this then (not my postcode, but the same effect):

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/main/trade/np20 1gg/NA/0/NA

I don't honestly see how a different feed on ARQ A can affect the BBC multiplex, even if I am getting a different feed on ARQ A.

That's seriously wierd

Justin thinks it 56

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/mendiptx.html

Note Com 6 used 67 last year according to the above.

Simple answer what does manual tune on 56 indicate for sig strength and quality ?. Where is 67 coming from I wonder if it's wrong.

Do you ever watch channels on that mux, if so it could be screwing up your epg ?

I just had a flick through, and the services I'm getting from channel 67 include Dave so I suppose I do watch it from time to time. I will do a little research later and see if I can isolate the mis-information problem. As a last resort I will try retuning to 56 and see what happens.

I still don't understand how this could be the issue with AR though, I watched the Humax turn on correctly 15 minutes before Sherlock was due to start, and surely the AR data is carried on the BBC mux even if not the actual BBC 1 data stream?

I need to clarify my answers. I live in Slough and should receive a signal from Crystal Palace. However, living in a flat I have been unable to persuade my management company to change the direction of the aerial at the top of our block. Other residents have just gone out and bought Sky dishes instead!

1. Hannington
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. No
7. No
8. Yes
9. No - unable to receive HiDef channels
10. N/A

I just had a flick through, and the services I'm getting from channel 67 include Dave so I suppose I do watch it from time to time. I will do a little research later and see if I can isolate the mis-information problem. As a last resort I will try retuning to 56 and see what happens.

I still don't understand how this could be the issue with AR though, I watched the Humax turn on correctly 15 minutes before Sherlock was due to start, and surely the AR data is carried on the BBC mux even if not the actual BBC 1 data stream?

Only a theory

Suppose channel 67 comes from a Welsh Source. BBC1 Wales may use different event ID's and that's what your box is looking for. If you were using BBC1-HD then all areas would use the same as it's not regionalised.

Wasn't suggesting you retune immediately just you have a look at the signal on 56 compared to 67 which should be good clue as to which is correct.

I'm getting no signal on 56 at all, and I can't find anywhere (within range) other than Mendip that claims to be transmitting on 67 so I think we now know where the error is. It did look a little suspicious as it is the odd-one-out as far as strength is concerned, but that might change with the transfer to 56 in March.

Your theory about event IDs would only work if 67 was a BBC mux from a local Welsh transmitter, which would not be carrying Dave.

But does the box change a tuner to the BBC MUX at that point or just monitor from the MUX (or MUXs) it was using before going into standby? NB I don't know the answer to the question.

This is something we need to know - where is the information carried? Only on that mux or across all muxes? If it is across all muxes, then we have another variable: which mux is any particular box monitoring when it succeeds/fails AR? It doesn't seem sensible to me - the AR/EPG tracking should be done on the target mux.

I'm getting no signal on 56 at all, and I can't find anywhere (within range) other than Mendip that claims to be transmitting on 67 so I think we now know where the error is. It did look a little suspicious as it is the odd-one-out as far as strength is concerned, but that might change with the transfer to 56 in March.

Your theory about event IDs would only work if 67 was a BBC mux from a local Welsh transmitter, which would not be carrying Dave.

We already know receiving from multiple transmitters screws up accurate recording on Humax boxes, By your reasoning it wouldn't make any difference. It clearly does. Suppose watching the odd mux resets the event id's for your BBC1 epg events (each mux carries the whole epg). It's all speculation of course.

I will ring the Son In Law tonight and check what Mux numbers he is using.

This is something we need to know - where is the information carried? Only on that mux or across all muxes? If it is across all muxes, then we have another variable: which mux is any particular box monitoring when it succeeds/fails AR? It doesn't seem sensible to me - the AR/EPG tracking should be done on the target mux.

Suppose the box was on and one tuner was recording and you were watching a live channel from a different mux, would you expect the box to pinch your tuner 15 minutes before a recording is due to start to watch for the event ?

It might - this is an experiment we could do. After all, the main purpose of the HDR is to record.

Back