AR Effectiveness Survey

When I do an auto-scan, my box asks me which region I prefer and it puts the other one at 800+. I then delete the 800+ channels and haven't had any problems.

Presumably the signal strength/quality data is only updated following a scan.

What happens when the multiple transmitters are in the same region ? In my case Sutton Coldfield and Lark Stoke.

Mmmmn - that's a good question - one would hope it will choose the strongest signal?

Would it put the others at 800+ or disregard as they are the same region? Perhaps you should try it and find out!

Obviously a strong case for manual tune only I would think?

Mmmmn - that's a good question - one would hope it will choose the strongest signal?

Would it put the others at 800+ or disregard as they are the same region? Perhaps you should try it and find out!

Obviously a strong case for manual tune only I would think?

I already have, :), hence the reason for manually tuning Lark Stoke.

The last few weeks I've had some weekly AR probes running on C4, and they've been fine until last night when they failed to record.

Hurumph!

I have just noticed my Weatherview AR probe has stopped ARing. I don't know how long that has been the case because I routinely delete successful recordings, but the latest batch are all the length one would expect with padding.

I think I know what happened, because I adjusted my padding settings at the end of March, and the last recorded AR failure (from the probe) was on the night of 24/25 March. The padding update would have wiped out the AR tweak on Weatherview.

And there was I thinking AR had suddenly "gone reliable"!

Here's something to ponder: my Weatherview probe continued to provide failed recordings until the random factory reset event (12th July from memory) wiped my settings and made AR my default. Since then I have remained exclusively AR, and guess what: not a single failed recording (at least none that I've noticed) - despite recording a mix from ITV, ITV2, Quest, Radio 4...

Guess what: AR has failed to track the end of the (over-running) Paralympics Opening Ceremony on 4HD and cut it off at the scheduled end. Didn't have that problem with the Beeb!

... and guess what: not a single failed recording (at least none that I've noticed) - despite recording a mix from ... Radio 4...
You must have been lucky them BBC radio does not support AR unless they have change very recently. Radio 4 definitely only supported series link up to a few months ago when I did a few trial recordings using AR.

Some broadcast slots appear to be sacrosanct and the programmes are always within the publicised schedule.
A regular cut-offs on Radio 4 include the weekday 14:00 archers. So far I have never experienced what ever is in the Friday 21:00 slot not over running the scheduled slot.

Guess what: AR has failed to track the end of the (over-running) Paralympics Opening Ceremony on 4HD and cut it off at the scheduled end. Didn't have that problem with the Beeb!

BH, well CH4 didn't update the EPG on both Freeview and Freesat apparently! (Barry at my humax forum also complained!)

Luckily I have a YouView box, so hopefully I can get it on 4OD!

Very disappointing. Already sent them a comment via their website. Perhaps if enough people complain, they will repeat the programme at a later date.

I don't need to keep the recording for anything, it doesn't matter, and I started another recording off when I noticed a blue ring so I only missed a bit. Of course, auto-padding would not have done any better.

My BBC Radio 2 & 4 recordings are limited, and I must admit I don't always check they are complete (only that they did indeed record). I guess I might be disappointed when I examine my collection of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue!

However, this raises a question about how AR works when a service doesn't support it. Clearly recordings get made, so somehow the system must know there is no AR info coming through and default to EPG times - otherwise it would sit waiting for the start flag and miss the programme.

But will that also have the end missing?:D

Why would it miss the end on 4OD, it would be the whole broadcast that is the reason for the catch up players on YouView!

Unfortunately it isn't on 4OD! But my friend recorded it on his Panasonic DVD in SD and it recorded all of it, so they did update the SD EPG, just not HD for some reason!:p

Why would it miss the end on 4OD, it would be the whole broadcast that is the reason for the catch up players on YouView!

Unfortunately it isn't on 4OD! But my friend recorded it on his Panasonic DVD in SD and it recorded all of it, so they did update the SD EPG, just not HD for some reason!:p
Perhaps they have recorded it on a Freeview/Freesat PVR.:D

The opening ceremony is available to watch online HERE.

I guess I might be disappointed when I examine my collection of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue!
Did episodes 4 & 5 of series 58 OK on Dec 3 and Dec 10 without any hastle? Studen on myhumax had failures while he was not activly using his HDR-FOX-T2 for an extended period despite setting a wake up period for the epg to be updated.

Actually I record the Sunday repeat, so they would have been 9th and 16th December... but actually only the first of the series has recorded on 18th November, with no evidence of any attempt having been made at the others (grrr!!!). I have checked the moribund reservation in the schedule and it seems to be OK, so I don't know what happened. Bum.

Anybody got them?

I have been looking into Radio AR for someone on the Tvonics Pulse-Eight Forum. The Tvonics failed to acknowledge the weekly "Click" programme on the World Service on a Sunday and would only record a single episode, even though set for a series recording.

It turns out that the programmes have the same Series and Programme CRID even though the content is not the same, so the Tvonics rejects all subsequent episodes after the first one. However, my HD-Fox has faithfully recorded all episodes up to the end of the year but does not declare the subsequent episode on a Sunday (when both episodes are in the EPG) but does so the following day.

As part of my investigation I set up a recording of ISIHAC on both machines prior to the 17th December programme. The HD-FOX recorded just one epsode - 17th., the Tvonics recorded the 17th December and 24th December episodes. But strangely, both boxes have recorded the first episode of "The Unbelievable Truth" which replaced ISIHAC on Monday 31st and both now declare there are no further episodes.

Martin

Back