AR Effectiveness Survey

It might - this is an experiment we could do. After all, the main purpose of the HDR is to record.

I can only check a HD FOX T2. I can say for definite though that doesn't happen on a Foxsat-hdr, you get the clash message at the actual flagged recording start not 15 minutes before.

Watching BBC1-HD Escape To the Country with a BBC1-SD AR recording set to follow at 15:05, Interesting at T-10 a watch in HD message came up (ignored) and the box switched to the SD channel.

Going to try two different SD channels. Another interesting fact you can't delete the reservation either in the run up to AR.

Stopped the BBC1-SD recording at 15:09 and continued watching live. Set a 15:30 recording on yesterday (Fred Dibner). Waiting to see what happens. Very interesting at T-15 the viewed channel went off with the occasional burst of audio and all channels in the same mux are similar. So it didn't change channel - you can view other Mux including Yesterday. At 15:19 BBC1 is back so could be a transmitter problem (doubtfull). At 15:10 dialogue came up and when ignored it changed to yesterday. It looks as if the box is considered to be recording 10 mins before the scheduled start. Again the schedule shows the box as recording in the pre AR period, media list shows a recording is in progress from 15:20 (nothings being recorded yet). The actual recording started in the ads at 15:30. Interesting to see what the HDR does.

OK, sitrep:

I have River Monsters (ITV, 1930-2000) set up for AR and Hairy Bikers (BBC2, 1900-2000) on padding, and I'm watching BBC1HD. The padding recording has started. I just hope I don't get disturbed in the next half hour.

Update:

I got no interruption to BBC1HD at all until 1931 when the Humax demanded to change channel. I refused to press "OK" but it did it anyway, just in time to see the River Monsters title slide. I can't be sure to the second when this happened, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhat later than 1930.

This seems to confirm the idea that the HDR-FOX does not need to be tuned to the appropriate mux in order to monitor AR flags, and supports the theory that mixed-region tuning can upset AR by causing the Humax to monitor the wrong information.

It's also a successful AR recording!

OK, sitrep:

I have River Monsters (ITV, 1930-2000) set up for AR and Hairy Bikers (BBC2, 1900-2000) on padding, and I'm watching BBC1HD. The padding recording has started. I just hope I don't get disturbed in the next half hour.

Update:

I got no interruption to BBC1HD at all until 1931 when the Humax demanded to change channel. I refused to press "OK" but it did it anyway, just in time to see the River Monsters title slide. I can't be sure to the second when this happened, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhat later than 1930.

This seems to confirm the idea that the HDR-FOX does not need to be tuned to the appropriate mux in order to monitor AR flags, and supports the theory that mixed-region tuning can upset AR by causing the Humax to monitor the wrong information.

It's also a successful AR recording!

Son In Law confirms UHF 67 is correct. Someone should inform DTG to correct the error. Were you able to duplicate the 5 minute loss of the current mux under the circumstances I posted ?.

What would you say are the salient differences between your scenario and mine? I tied up a tuner by recording from BBC2SD, then viewed BBC1HD while waiting for an AR recording to start on ITV1SD. Nothing happened until the AR cue said "I want your live tuner".

What would you say are the salient differences between your scenario and mine? I tied up a tuner by recording from BBC2SD, then viewed BBC1HD while waiting for an AR recording to start on ITV1SD. Nothing happened until the AR cue said "I want your live tuner".

There is no clear difference, it looks like

Either

It's a minor problem related to the single tuner HD FOX T2

Or by massive concidence the MUX went off air, I will repeat the test.

Did you get the message 15 minutes or 10 minutes before the scheduled start ?

No, only at the AR start (which I reckon was later than the scheduled start).

Can somebody else try this? You don't need selective AR unless you record by auto-padding by default. Let's stick to the muxes that serve BBC StDef, BBC/ITV/C4 HiDef, and ITV StDef.

HDR-FOX: Set up an AR recording due to start in about 30 minutes time on Mux A. Tie up a tuner by making an instant recording on Mux B - press record again to set the end point later than the AR recording is due to start. Watch Mux C live and monitor what happens in the run up to the AR recording starting, without OKing or cancelling anything that pops up, and particularly what time it happens.

HD-FOX: Set up an AR recording due to start in about 30 minutes time on Mux A. Watch Mux B live and monitor what happens in the run up to the AR recording starting, without OKing or cancelling anything that pops up, and particularly what time it happens.

If you don't know what I mean by "mux", keep it simple by choosing from BBC1 (not HiDef), BBC1HD, and ITV (not HiDef).

I just tried to repeat the process. This time no loss of picture at T-15, At T-10 message came up (ignored) and channel changed to channel due to be recorded. Displaying the schedule shows the channel is already recording (even though it's not). This is different to the Foxsat on which you can view the schedule and the icon indicating recording appears as the recording starts. During the 10 mins or so before recording actually starts I can't cancell the reservation. You have to wait until recording actually starts and use the stop button.

We appear to have a distinct difference between HD- and HDR-FOX. Let's see if somebody can confirm my results.

xyz321 suggested a useful addition to the webif channel screen - the source network for the Mux. If you upgrade to 0.8.12-4 then it's there now.

xyz321 suggested a useful addition to the webif channel screen - the source network for the Mux. If you upgrade to 0.8.12-4 then it's there now.
Thanks, hopefully it might make it easier to diagnose AR problems with multiple transmitters.

1. Mendip
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No
6. Yes
7. No
8. Yes
9. No
10. No

Better late than never - only just seen the thread!

Mine is tuned to:

I got these from Webif, Channel list..............."Big Silver button.........." - you must have a special edition!;)

I think the last (manual) tune will be 67 > 56 in March - at least I hope so because I get collared to do the business on several other boxes (neighbours) else with autotune they end up with BBC Wales and S4C etc, courtesy of Wenvoe and the fact the wick is still turned down at Mendip - and likely to be so until the end of the year I hear.

I retuned a new model Panasonic LED TV the other day and I was impressed - it found loads of differing signals (Wenvoe again) but allowed you to set your region from a list, chose BBC West and that was it, all done! Why is it so obscure on the Humax - same thing on the 9200 (waiting to be "retired" when everything has been watched)

The 'special edition' comes with a remote control.;)

As another matter of interest if you update the webif to the latest version what is shown in the Network column of the channel list?

This is what I now get on the channel display:

Printed%20from%20Nigel%20(2).jpg

..... I like that - very useful - actually confirms that I am on the correct regional version for all muxes.

Oooooops - I thought I had reduced that suitably - the "preview" showed it OK? Oh well, at least it's easy to read.

It's a shame we only get strength/quality for the mux in use, but I can't imagine there's any way around that!

Back