AR on a per-recording or per-service basis

True, in as far as a series recording goes. For a one-off recording clicking an EPG entry is much like the bar codes and VideoPlus codes - you can check what got set up and intervene if necessary, you still have ultimate control (even with series links, if you can be bothered to monitor the recording schedule). I do take your point, but I still see EPG as a "helper" and AR as a "controller" (hopefully benevolent but not necessarily).

I like the sound of the Topfield solution, having some kind of valid period during which the machine "can record" and a period within that when it "must record", with the AR marker used as part of the logic but not the whole logic. Without the equivalent of the Topfield's API though, it's a step beyond what we will be able to achieve.

Blue sky wish list: big padding margins, bookmarks set at AR start and end marks.

you can check what got set up and intervene if necessary, you still have ultimate control (even with series links, if you can be bothered to monitor the recording schedule).

Doesn't help if the broadcaster changes the event ID's after the reservation was made. The schedule will have an event that fails to make a recording. A favourite screw up by ITV1-HD for a period after they launched on Freesat as a proper channel.

I'm going off AR as a routine thing - I've just discovered the Royle Family Christmas Special failed to track. Anybody successfully record it (with AR)?

I am pulling it down from iPlayer now, though I notice the actual programme was not called the same as the broken recording file name (Wed 21 Dec, BBC1 2100). I wonder if that was anything to do with it?

This is why I'm reasonably happy to play with AR on BBC - iPlayer backstop.

That is a reality for anyone running a Toppy with MyStuff and Extend taps, and one reason why I have no plans to get rid of my Toppy 5800's.;) I am not aware of any other boxes on the market that even come close to a suitably patched and tapped Toppy, so will continue to use them for all of my SD recordings.:)

Agree 100%. I'm not parting with my Toppy's. I have two 5810's (one is a fully functioning, PSU replaced, spare)

Agree 100%. I'm not parting with my Toppy's. I have two 5810's (one is a fully functioning, PSU replaced, spare)
Hopefully I should be OK for some time to come, as I am currently running two 5800's, and have another two new 5800's waiting as spares.:D

I wonder if it would be possible to parse the EPG data and check set recordings against programme title rather than just rely on event ID? Just for the odd occasions where the broadcaster omits data i.e. AR info of they mess up what's needed for series recording. Just food for thought, and apologies if this has all been considered in the past, maybe written off as not do-able.

Brilliant! With that information we can all tell what the weather is like in our immediate locality right now. Almost rates a "like" :p

Don't knock it. I used to work in a National Grid Control centre. Work on overhead lines is suspended when the met office issues a lighning risk 1 warning. One day a a linesman reported an approaching thunderstorm. On enquiring at the met office was told the current risk for the particular area was 3. When advised of the situation, the response was OK it's now LR1.
smilie.png

@Black Hole
I hope you take it in the spirit it was intended. Just having a bit of a joke.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Of course, so was I! :)

Don't knock it. I used to work in a National Grid Control centre. Work on overhead lines is suspended when the met office issues a lighning risk 1 warning. One day a a linesman reported an approaching thunderstorm. On enquiring at the met office was told the current risk for the particular area was 3. When advised of the situation, the response was OK it's now LR1.
smilie.png

They can't do their job without ground observations. I love weather! Searching in the sun for another overload...

Are you sure this requires a reboot? I know you can't add a recording to the schedule without a kick up the pants to make it stick, but does that apply to editing an existing entry as well?

Yes, I'm sure. I've just re-confirmed that.

Of course, so was I! :)

They can't do their job without ground observations. I love weather! Searching in the sun for another overload...

The anecdote is long superceded
smile.png

These days every lightning strike is mapped by a live radar plot. You can se em coming (and hide under the desk)
eek.png

Believe it or not, when I was at school I borrowed a physics lab oscilloscope for the summer holiday, hooked up a couple of orthogonal coil antennas to the X and Y inputs, and had a lightning detector that gave me a bearing on the strike (couldn't tell from the 'scope whether it was one way or 180 degrees the other way). We used to get reliable thunderstorms 3pm.

Royal Institution Christmas Lectures has failed to track (BBC FOUR, 8pm) - that's another one for iPlayer. Perhaps AR doesn't work with anything "royal" in the title.

Three Men Go To New England (BBC2 9pm) has started recording OK (lending support to my royal theory).

Back