Are any of the DTR series reliable?

Robert74

Both my DTR-T1000 and my father's T1000 froze and failed over the past few months (and could not be rescued using maintenance mode). So what to replace them with?

In the opinion of regulars on here, is the DTR-1010 (or more recent models in this series) any more reliable, or should I just give up on using Humax Youview recorders?

In the opinion of regulars on here, is the DTR-1010 (or more recent models in this series) any more reliable, or should I just give up on using Humax Youview recorders?
I wouldn't go for a DTR-1010; the DTR-2000 and later models do seem to be more reliable than the early models.

I have one of the BT Youview boxes and it is at last reliable. I updated the hdd in it, see another thread. It's a Humax 2xxx in another box. Plus different firmware.

Edit: I take it back! Two freezes the other day, one unattended with missed recordings, one when navigating the programme guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be wary of the new update that has been pushed out to Youview boxes. It has removed quite a few functions and changed the way you view recordings and navigate around recorded content.

How can you be wary of some update over which you have no control over whether you get it or not?
I was wary of YouView boxes when I was considering getting one 4.5 years ago. Thankfully I went for a T2 instead.

How can you be wary of some update over which you have no control over whether you get it or not?
I was wary of YouView boxes when I was considering getting one 4.5 years ago. Thankfully I went for a T2 instead.
In my opinion you should be wary of it as it degrades the usability of the box. And this should certainly be considered if looking to buy a Youview box as the OP is.

I have managed to avoid it by blocking the boxes Internet access overnight and blocking certain domains it tried to access when updating.

On the other hand, without a firmware update it may no longer be able to access some on-line content, as happened with the HDR-FOX TV Portal access to iPlayer and YouTube.

On the other hand, without a firmware update it may no longer be able to access some on-line content, as happened with the HDR-FOX TV Portal access to iPlayer and YouTube.
All functions work, the 7 days back EPG, all the online players as well. I started blocking over a month ago.

From the wireshark logs it seems that all the individual on demand apps update from their channels servers not Youviews.

My plan is to hold out until functions that I use are restored. (sorry for OT Robert74)

Three functions that no longer work are

1) The ability to Hide unwanted channels in the EPG;

2) The ability to quickly and easily move the play point when playing a recording (it now takes two minutes to move on an hour!);

3) The ability to marked a recording as Watched (rather than Partially Watched) by using the Skip key on the play bar to move to the end of a recording.

There are others which have been commented on.

So everyone was hiding the commercial and sex channels then? I wonder why?

The Hide Adult Channels option is still there although it does not hide them all for some reason?

Daft question alert - is there any way to revert the firmware to pre-BT-Youview update - I thought I'd bought a Humax box not a BT box :-(

Daft question alert - is there any way to revert the firmware to pre-BT-Youview update - I thought I'd bought a Humax box not a BT box :-(
No way back I'm afraid, the branding is dependent on the ISP used to connect the box to the Internet. I understand it's more prominent now but obviously haven't seen it as I've prevented my box from updating.

Mine too is a BT Youview Humax box, I am not with BT, but it updates to BT firmware, which in the past has run behind plain Youview in version numbers. So it has little to do with the ISP.

I am on BT Infinity and have a BT Youview box yet the only BT specific thing about it I notice is the extra option on the main menu and the BT subscription channels on the EPG. Hardly OTT. One could just as easily say Sky have put their branding all over it because of the Now TV menu option and the Sky channels on the EPG.

My point is not so much about branding (though the first thing I did notice after the update was the BT symbol) - what I really object to is the fact that the interface was completely redesigned without my having a choice to say no thanks. It's a bit like MS forcing out W10 on W7 users... Actually, more like MS forcing W10 onto Mac OS 10 users! Funnily enough, my friends who have a BT Vision box (which they understand is a Humax box anyway) still have the old interface that I used to have...

Mine too is a BT Youview Humax box, I am not with BT, but it updates to BT firmware, which in the past has run behind plain Youview in version numbers. So it has little to do with the ISP.
As I said I have prevented my box from updating and am only going on what I have read on the Youview forum where a number of people, with mostly retail boxes, have complained about the BT branding within the Youview interface which was either not there before or just less apparent.

The skin you get depends on which ISP you use, so if you have a talktalk box but move to BT, even without a TV subscription the interface branding will change.

Back