Assume v. Presume

Which regional news, exactly?
East Midlands.
Here's the exact quote now that I've had another listen:
"For some people the 10 degree water temperature was still too cold, despite it being three times warmer than the air. - James Roberson (sp?)"

On the iPlayer until 7pm tonight - second item.
I think I have probably found it, in the Points West that followed the late news yesterday
Oh, did they say it as well? Twice the fun to be had. I will review.
Of course, if you measure temperature in Kelvin or Fahrenheit the observation fails. viz.
Indeed, which is what makes it completely meaningless.
I would have said that as the water temperature was 283K then the air temperature would be a third of that so 94K which is -179 degrees C.
Yes, me too as Kelvin is an absolute temperature scale.
Nope, not in there. ITV?
Good God! :eek:

But "zero point three times less" nearly works for me, but the "less" is superfluous (+- rounding errors)
It works nine tenths less for me. But then, I am five times more scientific than you.

East Midlands.
On the iPlayer until 7pm tonight - second item.
Damn. I thought this might have been in an item about the marine lake swim at Clevedon, which was given more air time on the late slot than earlier, but no. I've been busy most of the day so have only just caught up with this - but am currently grabbing the late East Midlands bulletin in the hope it appeared there too.

Yep, I've got it now - and as you said the water was "three times warmer than the air" so it's not such a gross abuse (although still scientifically inaccurate). As a candidate for the 2017 Peabrain Award, this one is rejected.

Local weather forecast this morning "it's a less cold start...". So it's warmer then. Are they paid by the word?

And what about "Thank you very much indeed" in response to a presenter's input. WTF does the thanks have to be so profuse for someone just doing their normal job?

Local weather forecast this morning "it's a less cold start...". So it's warmer then. Are they paid by the word?
If so, ITV Central will win the prize. Des Coleman usually crams as much animated verbiage as possible into a 15s broadcast. Most of it has nothing to do with the weather.

Sports commentaries and interviews win that contest, easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBC:

YELLOW WARNING of ICE for parts of ENGLAND

Valid from 19:00 Wed 4 Jan

Valid to 10:00 Thu 5 Jan

Icy patches are likely to form this evening and overnight, especially where showers occur.

Clear spells this evening and overnight will allow temperatures
to widely fall below freezing allowing icy patches to form, especially on untreated surfaces such as pavements, cycle paths and some minor roads.

I will try not to boldly go on any pavements, cycle paths or minor roads, then!

I'm going to disagree on this one. Saying it's not as cold does infer that it will still be cold. Saying it's warmer is ambiguous - it could be just a bit warmer or a lot warmer unless you add a numerical or descriptive term ... which then uses a lot more words.

Yes, I agree, but it's still an awful expression. I would prefer "not as cold a start". It's bloody cold out now though!

I will try not to boldly go on any pavements, cycle paths or minor roads, then!
Personally, I'm not a split-infinitive pedant. Somebody, somewhere, decided they were bad form and then that's what was taught. I see it as poetic licence.

"To widely fall" and "to fall widely" should mean different things. One imagines temperatures falling in large patches rather than commonly.

PS I slipped on our drive, didn't expect it to be icy as it wasn't mentioned. Then I skidded in the car park. Bummer!

Louise split an infinitive on Breakfast just now: "...will carefully consider whether..."

To not have split the infinitive would have required "will consider whether... carefully". This is a very clumsy aspect of "proper" English grammar, because the ... could be so long as to forget what the "carefully" applied to by the time one hears it. Rather like trying to live-interpret languages which leave the verb until the end. In my view the split infinitive is an improvement.

To go where no-one has gone before, boldly

In this case there was no reason to split the infinitive. To fall widely below...

Somebody, somewhere, decided they were bad form
I blame Fowler for the start of grammatical hyper-pedantry which is now widely mocked by the knowledgeable people at the OED.

There is a punter on late night radio who started off as a regular phone in listener and who is now often invited to take part in radio discussions on this type of topic and who is a neo-Fowelerite. He would fit right in here. :D

Back