Assume v. Presume

I disagree. As they are three dimensional objects then it is natural to compare them by volume.
Is it? If you had two cubes side by side, one with twice the dimensions of the other, how many "men on the Clapham omnibus" would describe the larger as being eight times the size of the other, I wonder? I'll put my money on 0.

If both the cubes were a house, and had rooms of equal height, then I suspect that both men and women on the Clapham omnibus would think that one was 8 times the size of the other, especially if they had been in the housing market recently.

Is it? If you had two cubes side by side, one with twice the dimensions of the other, how many "men on the Clapham omnibus" would describe the larger as being eight times the size of the other, I wonder? I'll put my money on 0.
Perhaps I meet a better educated or innately more intelligent class of people on my Clapham omnibus?

Perhaps I meet a better educated or innately more intelligent class of people on my Clapham omnibus?
Is it a bendy bus? Is it twice as large as a single decker? Imagine a bus twice as tall and wide too!

I definitely am.
If you were, you would look like me! Light bends round the top and bottom of you, too, so your accretion disk is visible top and bottom. If it bends round several times, you get multiple views of it.

So, if Trev fell into that black hole, we would get multiple dim images of that beard, for all eternity...

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard on the BBC news tonight, out of the mouth of Simon Jack. The context was of the Brexit negotiations, and the position at the end of two years' arguments.

No deal would be preferable to a bad deal.

The emphasis was on the first two words, meaning "our not having arrived at any deal" so that would be better than accepting a bad deal.

However, it also has a diametrically opposite reading!

Is that as in "Nothing works faster than Anadin"? (other headache pills are available)
Or the reference that says

You will be fortunate if you can get this candidate to work for you.

Heard on the BBC news tonight, out of the mouth of Simon Jack.
No deal would be preferable to a bad deal.
However, it also has a diametrically opposite reading!
Don't blame the messenger for this one:
Theresa May (Lancaster House 17 January 2017) said:
... And while I am confident that this scenario need never arise – while I am sure a positive agreement can be reached – I am equally clear that no deal for Britain is better than a bad deal for Britain.
Deliberately ambiguous?

300px-Apple_logo_Think_Different_vectorized.svg.png

OK, I will!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Back