Assume v. Presume

Ah, but given that there is a central guide, would it not be possible to have a smaller rouleaux bit guided round it? That would cut deeper into the corners.

Here's a little thing to ponder. Not sure it's truly AvP but anyway ...
I'm reading a book which made reference to the era from 1000BC to 1BC as the "first millennium BC". It occurred to me that it is actually the last millennium BC.
:confused:

I can't imagine the sides would remain straight. You're the mathematician...
Well, a square guide is easier! I haven't looked at the details but my idea was to just cut four squares with round corners, one at each quadrant of the hole you are cutting. Make the bit slightly larger than half the hole side and the straight edges follow. It's all in the details, though.

As I said, constraining the bit like that is harder than using a square hole guide. You could cut any size hole with only one small Rouleaux bit.

Here's a little thing to ponder. Not sure it's truly AvP but anyway ...
I'm reading a book which made reference to the era from 1000BC to 1BC as the "first millennium BC". It occurred to me that it is actually the last millennium BC.
:confused:
Calling it BC is out of vogue.

You have to ask what the people who lived then used, BC or BCE. What did Julius C write in his diary when he became emperor? How did the Israelites date stamp their books? When they borrowed a copy of the torah from the library, how did the librarian write the return date? And what about the best before dates on their food items?

There are many ways to solve this.:)

WTF is BCE ? (It's close to BCD, but from the context I doubt it's related.)
The modern "PC" (I prefer "PA" - politically astute) non-religious-affiliation term (that means the same thing) is "Before Common Era". I wonder if they've replaced AD?

So they're saying everyone living after year 0 is common? They know what they can do with that ... :thumbsup: (except I'm using a different digit :) ).
There was never a year 0. There is an inconvenient jump from -1 to +1.

The HE system is better.

Best estimates put Christ as being born about 4BC. Now that makes no sense at all! How could Herod and JC be contemporaries if Herod died BC?

Common Era or vulgaris aerae dates back to 1615 . The English term dates to 1708.

Last edited by a moderator:
The HE system is better.
And again ... WTF is HE ?

Would it not be simpler to just use a minus sign for dates the far side of where 0 ought to be? In most use the 'word' (e.g.) 1752 is taken as the year a few hundred years ago, so -1752 ought to be sufficient for the one nearly 4000 back. It also gets round the problems of every language wanting to have their own version of whatever word(s) are used because they spell them differently.
Just a thought :)

Back