Assume v. Presume

Depends whether you are referring to a type of car, or a Latin word. Seems the Latin aficionados believe the plural chosen by the public, to indicate many Prius cars, is wrong.

As far as the car name goes, given the nature of its power unit, it seem apposite to have a mongrel form for its plural.

<sigh>

"Here are some unedited highlights of today's action..." - BBC Springwatch

"This coupon... can be redeemed only once by the person to whom it was issued to." - Tesco

The widely reported "power surge" that took BA down was reported as someone disconnecting "the UPS". What is a "power surge" anyway and how does one (or whatever) happen when you turn something off?

It's all just b@!!@cks isn't it?

</sigh>

It's all just b@!!@cks isn't it?
Francis Urquhart said:
You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.
Unedited highlights. :confused:
Never mind the unnecessary "to". If you've redeemed the coupon you should no longer have the coupon. How can you redeem it more than once? :confused:
If you disconnect the UPS, it must be interruptible, and therefore isn't uninterruptible. :confused:

If you've redeemed the coupon you should no longer have the coupon. How can you redeem it more than once?
It also says to "Hand this coupon to the Tesco checkout operator". Er, how do you do that if you are their (temporary) checkout operator? Give it to yourself? That'll be a way then.

It also says to "Hand this coupon to the Tesco checkout operator". Er, how do you do that if you are their (temporary) checkout operator? Give it to yourself? That'll be a way then.
:oops: Yes, didn't think of that, or the possibility of submitting it online. I prefer to shop the old fashioned way - I hate the DIY checkouts. (Yes ASDA I mean you - damn thing requesting help three times when trying to scan 10 items :mad: [and I do know what I'm doing]).

If you disconnect the UPS, it must be interruptible, and therefore isn't uninterruptible. :confused:
I was required to fit a UPS system to run some computers where the mains was unreliable, but the safety certification required that hitting the big red button on the wall would remove mains power...

Uninterruptible power supply. That means the power the UPS supplies at its outputs will be uninterrupted. The circuit downstream of the UPS, ie, outside the control of the UPS, is a different matter.

The problem was that the individual UPSes couldn't tell the difference between an unwanted power outage and an emergency circuit break. IIRC I ended up with another pole on the emergency switch breaking an output relay on every UPS, but the relays needed powering from more than one UPS in case one of them was out of service... it all got very complicated.

Uninterruptible power supply - I was pointing out the irony of an interruptible UPS. Of course this needs to be the case. It isn't the fact that they need to be interruptible that is the gripe - it's calling them uninterruptible when they are not. Anyway, shouldn't BA have had some surge protectors if this was going to happen? (Who is Serge Protectus? Sounds like a film director.)

Uninterruptible power supply - I was pointing out the irony of an interruptible UPS. Of course this needs to be the case. It isn't the fact that they need to be interruptible that is the gripe - it's calling them uninterruptible when they are not.
Well in that case calling electric cars electric cars is also wrong. The power to move them comes from the grid, which is a mix of nuclear, gas, wind, solar and hydro, so it's wrong to call them electric? You are taking the definition of a device outside of the device.

Anyway, shouldn't BA have had some surge protectors if this was going to happen? (Who is Serge Protectus? Sounds like a film director.)
I'm pretty sure we don't yet have the true story of what happened, beyond the fact that there was clearly a cock-up. Blaming contractors is always a handy shield, but ultimately it's BA's ship.

Back