• The forum software that supports hummy.tv has been upgraded to XenForo 2.1!

This upgrade brings a number of improvements including the ability to bookmark posts to come back to later. Please bear with us as we continue to tweak things and open a new thread for any questions, issues or suggestions in Site/Forum Issues.

Assume v. Presume

OP
Black Hole

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Can I get one? Or. Please may I have one? How much are they?
Really???

It's not exactly a con, but they are trying to bump the price on "rarity value", and there is the pressure-sell "act now because this is a limited-time half-price offer". It's not an offer at all - they are simply threatening to double the price if they have any stock left.

However, if you are really keen on it as a collectors' item, go ahead - just don't imagine it will necessarily keep its value as an investment.

EEPhil

Number 28
On an advert for a gold coin commemorating the Apollo 11 mission, they say there have been only 1,969 of them minted so (apparently) "fewer than one in every 13½ thousand UK households may own one".

CAN!

The unwashed need to understand that "may" means "permitted to".
"Fewer than ... households [are] permitted to own one", would work, and makes sense. It also makes the "con" sound better. You're special because you were permitted to own one.

If only our last PM had been called Theresa Can. :(
Theresa Couldn't or Theresa Wouldn't.

trog

There are frequent examples of "can" being used when it should be "may" (eg: "only food purchased here can be consumed here" - really, I'll demonstrate), but today I've heard the opposite:

On an advert for a gold coin commemorating the Apollo 11 mission, they say there have been only 1,969 of them minted so (apparently) "fewer than one in every 13½ thousand UK households may own one".

CAN!
May is correct because if two members of the same household separately order a coin they would happily ignore their one per household rule leaving 1 less household able to own a coin.