Assume v. Presume

"Instore Only. E-voucher: sent via email within 5-7 working days."

1. When did "instore" become a word? I loathe "in store" as well.
2. Why is "Only" capitalised?
3. Surely just "within 7 working days"? The "5-" bit is irrelevant and meaningless.

Surely just "within 7 working days"? The "5-" bit is irrelevant and meaningless.
We hear that sort of thing a lot. "Within two to three weeks" - what they mean is within three weeks, but they want to give the impression it might not be as long as that. The alternative interpretation is "not less than two and not greater than three weeks", but I would have to be very charitable to think that might be what they mean.

Surely just "within 7 working days"? The "5-" bit is irrelevant and meaningless.
It does let you know you won't get it within the first four working days. Some people do expect an instant response. :D
Didn't David Mitchell take the p out of this in a recent "Would I lie to you"? His wife, Victoria, was on his team and the "lie" involved him changing the position of bookmarks in Victoria's books. Someone asked Victoria how many books she was reading. The answer six was given (I think). Then Lee Mack asked David how many books Victoria was reading. "Between five and seven", he replied. :rolleyes: (I seem to remember David getting some stick for giving a range of dates/times earlier in the round).
We have shops in UK not bloody stores. Unless of course it is a grocery store.
Don't see anything wrong with the use of the word store. My old concise Oxford dictionary suggests that store comes from Middle English and Old French. I do prefer to use the word shop though.
Instore: probably the space bar wasn't working properly.

What is your feeling about in-store?
I think it's clearer. Instore/In-store specifies that you have to come inside the store to get it. "Store Only" is bound to confuse somebody - there is always one!
eg. "How long do I have to store it before I can use it?"

"Shop" is the verb, "a shop" is a place in which shopping is carried out. A "store" is a repository for stores, thus "general store" being a non-specific storage facility. If you had nowhere to house bulk goods, you placed it in storage in a store from where you could take small quantities as you needed (and no doubt pay a small fee for the storage). Then it became that the stores keeper might be empowered to sell to other persons and not just hold the goods for the owner, and then the stores keeper started buying in bulk to sell on his own behalf...

Thus you go to a store when you know what it is you want to fetch, and go to a shop when you don't know what you want and might buy on impulse :tongue-in-cheek:

I think it's clearer. Instore/In-store specifies that you have to come inside the store to get it.
Is there any other way of getting it out of the shop. I suppose if you shout "Hey lackey, please fetch me that gizmo" could possibly work without actually entering the shop, but it could possibly subsequently require a quick trip to A&E.
And don't start me off on "can I get?" or greeting someone with "You all right?". Someone greeted me in the latter manner today and I replied "Why? Do I look ill or something?". She apologised.:D

And don't start me off on "can I get?" or greeting someone with "You all right?". Someone greeted me in the latter manner today and I replied "Why? Do I look ill or something?". She apologised.:D

Mind you, if you look like your avatar.......;)

Thus you go to a store when you know what it is you want to fetch, and go to a shop when you don't know what you want and might buy on impulse
I can't think of good analogy here. The "store" part of your sentence could apply to that other use - computer storage. You fetch some data from the store. How would you shop for data?

Too old Phil. I mean the answer as well as me. Far less impact as well, they just laugh, but with my answer they either apologise or assure me that I look surprisingly well for my age.:D

Footnote: In case anybody is wondering, I prefer to type "WiFi" without the hyphen... but I will include the hyphen when I am quoting something that includes it, such as the menus, for accuracy.
:rolling: I must remember that excuse for when someone questions my lack of consistency in grammar, spelling, and use of the apostrophe.

I'm tending to drop hyphens too. email is another. Partly because getting a - is a bit of a chore on a mobile device.

Talking of which, on my phone keyboard you can get a \ direct, but to get a / means changing the 'view' to a number pad. WTF?? Are people writing DOS paths on their phones all the time?

Back