Assume v. Presume

I expect Millman is one of those "millennials" (another term I despise) as nobody understood what he (assumption) was on about.
Older person's rant
I do wish people in general would stop using terms I don't understand - and hence don't like. Millennials is one of those.
My current pet hate is woke. WTF does it mean?
OG? (I'm sure I've seen "og." used in text somewhere, but I can't find the example.)
In the context of these forums it would be helpful if people used terms we all understand. :confused: :D

I do wish people in general would stop using terms I don't understand - and hence don't like. Millennials is one of those.
People are so touchy these days that I tend to let these things pass. The alternative is potentially ending up in a flame war online or getting physically assaulted in the real world (stabbing is popular these days it seems).
If it makes them feel happy/important/smug that's fine - at least they aren't my problem :)

Older person's rant
OG? (I'm sure I've seen "og." used in text somewhere, but I can't find the example.)
In the context of these forums it would be helpful if people used terms we all understand. :confused: :D
Its not as bad "Baby boomers" but less cool sounding than Generation X.

I think it means that somebody is fully immersed in PCness and maybe metro-man... in other words not really a man at all (pleasing women by being willing to cook and clean and change a nappy is just another form of PC).

:duel:

I think it means that somebody is fully immersed in PCness and maybe metro-man... in other words not really a man at all (pleasing women by being willing to cook and clean and change a nappy is just another form of PC).

:duel:
Not always the case, if you tried my ex's cooking you would be forced to clean and need a nappy. I was always the cook for self preservation.

If it makes them feel happy/important/smug that's fine - at least they aren't my problem :)
It could be our problem if you can't understand what people mean. How can this be a self-help forum if you can't understand the question?
I think it means
I wonder how to frame a google search to find all the modern terms I don't understand - rather than just guess. :)
We need a Millennial to Oldies dictionary.

We need a Millennial to Oldies dictionary.
No we don't. That involves unnecessary work for us that could be avoided by "t' yoof" speaking non millennium/woke old school English that pretty much everybody will be able to understand. Even the millennial/woke people. :roflmao:

I'm currently in Portugal ( and it's raining hard, so not smug) and can't understand any of the locals! Current hate is OAP, as if we're all bloody senile.

I think I've worked it out: it's PC inflation. PC is bad enough, but now that's been trumped and you have to be so inoffensive that not even somebody on the other side of the planet (let alone out of earshot) can be in any way offended. That's "woke".

Surely freedom of speech implies that you can say something that might offend someone else who does not have the same beliefs as you. Or is it just white, male, middle class, Christians that we are allowed to offend? Or are we?

How can this be a self-help forum if you can't understand the question?
But I usually do, from the context - at least near enough - and so do most of the people who complain about these things. If I don't undrstand then I'll either ask politely or Google it.
I just don't see the point in getting all "that's not right" about it.

PC is bad enough, but now that's been trumped and you have to be so inoffensive
I thought Trump was the opposite of PCness :eek:

Surely freedom of speech implies that you can say something that might offend someone else who does not have the same beliefs as you
I only get offended if what is said is neither informative nor entertaining while being obnoxious.

No we don't. That involves unnecessary work for us that could be avoided by "t' yoof" speaking non millennium/woke old school English that pretty much everybody will be able to understand. Even the millennial/woke people. :roflmao:
But they won't, so we need to know what they are saying about us behind our backs, or worse to our faces.
Surely freedom of speech implies that you can say something that might offend someone else who does not have the same beliefs as you. Or is it just white, male, middle class, Christians that we are allowed to offend? Or are we?
That sounds about right.

Back