Assume v. Presume

To me, "probably" implies you have some evidence that the thesis may be true, not just supposition.
Try telling that to Carlsberg. Even they have changed the "probably the best lager in the world" slogan because they now agree it probably isn't. :cheers:

[Ariel] What is it with you and mermaids? Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. The word you are looking for is "aerial".
That mermaid is far better looking than the washing powder!
It's not just people on here expecting reception from washing powder. A British "television and radio presenter" working for the BBC (Paddy O'Connel) and writes a column in the Radio Times seems to have a problem with his radio reception. Could it be his use of an ariel [sic] to pick up the signal. Use a piece of metal man, not a box of white powder!

That mermaid is far better looking than the washing powder!
It's not just people on here expecting reception from washing powder. A British "television and radio presenter" working for the BBC (Paddy O'Connel) and writes a column in the Radio Times seems to have a problem with his radio reception. Could it be his use of an ariel [sic] to pick up the signal. Use a piece of metal man, not a box of white powder!
Ah! that explains why I can never get all the stains out of my work clothes and why the spin cycle is so noisy. I did wonder when they asked if I wanted an indoor or outdoor as I though everyone these days has a washing machine and the days of bashing your clobber against a rock in the river were long gone.

It seems like the bleedin' obvious, but I'll state it anyway:

The modern generation can't spell because they don't read (and I don't mean social media type reading where the writers can't spell either). If you've only heard words spoken and never written down (properly), you write what you think you heard with no understanding of what it should be, hence: should of (etc).

If you've only heard words spoken and never written down (properly), you write what you think you heard with no understanding of what it should be
I agree. But I still have problems with the spelling of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu. :roflmao:

I have just learned a brilliant new phrase. "Peak Snowflakery". Brilliant.
My main gripe at full stops (and commas) is when idiots use a bunch about 5 or 6 of them to terminate a sentence (or phrase)(when it isn't an ellipsis).

What a pile of tripe! The times we have all had reading long paragraphs without punctuation (I tend to lose interest) just equates to the writer being lazy or not paying attention during English lessons at school.
My daughter tells me that this trend rolls over into CV's when she reads applications for employment. ( Some graduation students are very poor).

The standard of grammar is falling dismally, no doubt due in part to the low achievements level required to obtain an A in examinations.

Now I know what's causing it, I shall be even less concerned when people take offence... .
That probably partially explains the accusations of aggression by some of our newer members.
Some graduation students are very poor
That'll be the student loans! :roflmao:
The standard of grammar is falling dismally, no doubt due in part to the low achievements level required to obtain an A in examinations.
This year they've only got to impress their teachers. Judging by recent performance, I suspect some English teachers didn't pay attention in their English lessons either.

My daughter tells me that this trend rolls over into CV's when she reads applications for employment.
So what's going to happen when that generation are the ones judging submitted CVs? Are they going to put CVs with proper punctuation at the bottom of the list?

That, and the fact the snowflake generation never read books so have no example to follow.
Tweets from Kim Kardashian is probably not a good role model to base spelling, grammar, or punctuation on.

Misinterpreting proper punctuation as passive aggression is the reader's problem, not the author's.

WTF is the oxymoron passive aggression all about? Or was it invented by a person who answers to the last 5 letters of the 4th word in this post?

I thought that it had always been 6Ps and you have substituted the word 'punctuation' for 'planning'. What is the seventh word.

Yep, I knew about 'planning', but I've not heard the 'preparation' version in my 26 years in t'RAF.

Back