Assume v. Presume

And just what is wrong with "train" anyway. Trains stop at train stations, and when they are stopped, they are stationary hence the name train station.
The railway comprises the rails that a train runs on and is stationary all the time thus does not need a station. Locomotives (frequently called engines) pull, and are a constituent and necessary part of a train.

References
and

And just what is wrong with "train" anyway.
Not that again! See your first dictionary reference, definition 2. The problem, in case I have to restate it, is uneducated parents using baby talk to their toddlers and never bothering to retrain (sigh) them into proper grown-up words.

I caught this last night (about 3'40" in):
I think EMT have made that mistake (principle/principal) before.
You'd expect journalists to get the simple things right - the English language and spelling. The content of the story may be blx, but it should be written well.

Baby talk for train is choo-choo.
Ah! That is where I have been going wrong when talking to babies.
I'd always thought when talking with babies that choo-choo was a non-electric locomotive, and that if you wanted to include the rest of the rolling stock then that would be choo-choo train.

I think EMT have made that mistake (principle/principal) before.
It's hard to see how it goes wrong from one broadcast to the next though. So, either somebody has retyped it and got it wrong, instead of just copying it, or they've deliberately 'corrected' it.
You'd expect journalists to get the simple things right
Yes you might, but experience says otherwise. There was an incident a couple of years ago in the West region where one of them (who's recently become a bit notorious for another matter) was talking about multiplying/dividing temperatures (5C is half as hot as 10C and such-like rubbish). I told her you couldn't do this in any meaningful way but didn't receive a reply.

I suspect it may have been the old autocorrect problem. But in this case speech to text error.

Half as hot. Is that equivalent to twice as cold?

It's hard to see how it goes wrong from one broadcast to the next though.
There was so much on TV last night I was doing some channel surfing. I landed on one of the shopping channels (probably Ideal World) and spotted something even dafter. Some paint like substance for repairing the roof. One left-hand pop-up referred to square meters and the next pop-up square metres. :frantic:

Not always. Sometime telling me about the rain I (didn't) experience earlier that day.
ITV Central pre-record the early morning weather inserts into Good Morning Britain. So when the presenter says it's raining out there, was that last night or now? Not only that the East Midlands weather is presented in Birmingham - so that's accurate. I still don't know how ITV are allowed to pre-record the local East Midlands news. The same presenter(s) are supposedly broadcasting different versions of Central News for the East and West Midlands at the same time.

I still don't know how ITV are allowed to pre-record the local East Midlands news.
Where do you draw the line between pre-recorded and time-shifted. The latter is often used to allow the interception of things you don't want broadcast, but is in effect pre-recording.
If it's only an hour or two I don't see the harm - Most of the 'news' is several hours old anyway - if it's really new they go to great lengths to let us know, with 'breaking' banners and newsflashes.

Where do you draw the line between pre-recorded and time-shifted.
For a regional news magazine, I'd draw the line at it should be NEWs not olds. :D
The reason I mentioned it is because I'm sure OFCOM gave ITV Central (possibly Central, it may have been that long ago) a warning for pre-recording the EM news. For a while they did a live broadcast from Birmingham with pre-recorded EM inserts (and weather). Not sure they bother with any live stuff now - even when it says "live" on-screen I'm not convinced.
The latter is often used to allow the interception of things you don't want broadcast, but is in effect pre-recording.
If you mean similar to the radio station 5s delay to allow someone to hit the profanity button, that doesn't really count [at least with the point I was grumbing about].
if it's really new they go to great lengths to let us know, with 'breaking' banners and newsflashes.
I've gone to sleep and woken up several hours later with the same breaking news.

Back