Assume v. Presume

Yep, I knew about 'planning', but I've not heard the 'preparation' version in my 26 years in t'RAF.
I'd not heard the 7P version either. But I used the search engine looking for the 6p version and was redirected to the 7p version.

I never really understood what passive aggressive is supposed to mean.
It's another snowflake thing, but from before they were called snowflakes. I assumed that's what the snowflake meant by "muted aggression" and put in my translation. So far as I know, "passive aggressive" was coined by people who feel threatened by the slightest little thing, whether there was any actual aggression or not.

how much jeez my autocorrect did not capitalise how wats is it playing at

And don't get all aggressive at me with your scary periods

Well, I'm guessing that if a . upsets snowflakes, I suspect that the words full stop will upset them even more period

Why should we be more concerned with "racism" in this country that they are in their's,
To go along with your's, hi's, her's, it's, and our's no doubt.
Do the kiddywinks get upset by apostrophes as well? Not that I care what they do and don't get upset about.

From the BBC website:
History making Black Hole seen to do a shimmy.
From the Independent:
Black Hole is wobbling and rotating.

BH joining Strictly?

In Andrew Neil's note on leaving the BBC, he used the word 'adumbrate' - hadn't come across that one before.

In Andrew Neil's note on leaving the BBC, he used the word 'adumbrate' - hadn't come across that one before.
I've been doing a daily crossword since lockdown, and I believe I have a good vocabulary but it surprises me how many crossword answers aren't in it (including that one). I think the problem is the general dumbing down of language in common use - the masses don't understand fine distinctions of meaning and connotation, so plump for the simplest word which vaguely fits (and then everyone else follows by example). And then it gets into dictionaries. Case in point: "train" v "railway" or "locomotive".

Back