Assume v. Presume

B5475BDB-DDF8-4A6F-A75B-3D6ED3B7BA14.jpeg

Schadenfreude is well known, of course (not mentioned above). The French adopted le weekend (amazing they didn't have a word for that concept, but perhaps they treat the whole week as a weekend). Any others?

In Sweden they have a word 'träsmak' for the numb feeling you get from sitting on a wooden bench. (Translates as 'woody taste' in Google, but my Swedish colleague said it was "wood bum".)

Do we really need a separate word for a wooden numb bum rather than a metal or concrete numb bum? Your bum is still numb, so numb bum will do. Admittedly not one word, but English doesn't seem to lend itself to that.
Donuts is the word I use. :)
Doughnuts is the word I use. :p

For anyone mystified by:
SI unit pedants will be sure to question why you measure time delays in units of conductance.
That would also include me. :D
...the OP included a 'typo':
20mS
40mS
10mS
Clearly we know what was meant in the context, and at least the "m" is correct, but "S" stands for Siemens (the unit of conductance, which is the inverse of resistance and used to be called the mho), whereas the unit of time is the second – abbreviated "s".

Not least for clarity of communication, these things matter!

m is milli (divide by 1000), M is mega (multiply by 1,000,000), so get those wrong and you're a factor of a billion out (which is 10^9, because the old British billion 10^12 has been completely dropped).

The prefix to multiply by 1000 is k (kilo) not K, but K is used in computing to denote a multiple of 2^10 (1024), except data storage manufacturers abused it and used K to mean x1000 as a form of shrinkflation, so now we have Ki to denote x1024 unambiguously (see https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/faq-glossary-of-terms.403/#KiB).

And equally abused: "b" means bit, not byte (which is "B"), so "mbps" would stand for milli-bits per second not (as might have been intended) mega-bytes per second, and "MBPS" would be just as wrong.

While I'm about it: ºC and ºF are correct (degrees Celcius & Fahrenheit), but Kelvin is an absolute thermodynamic quantity not a temperature scale, so ºK is incorrect (it should be just K, which has a different meaning than the K mentioned above). You would be surprised how many science and technology journals get that wrong. 0K = -273.15°C = -459.67°F; 0ºF = -17.78ºC = 255.37K; 0ºC = 32ºF = 273.15K.

Last edited:
For anyone mystified by:

...the OP included a 'typo':

Clearly we know what was meant in the context, and at least the "m" is correct, but "S" stands for Siemens (the unit of conductance, which is the inverse of resistance and used to be called the mho), whereas the unit of time is the second – abbreviated "s".

Not least for clarity of communication, these things matter!

m is milli (divide by 1000), M is mega (multiply by 1,000,000), so get those wrong and you're a factor of a billion out (which is 10^9, because the old British billion 10^12 has been completely dropped).

The prefix to multiply by 1000 is k (kilo) not K, but K is used in computing to denote a multiple of 2^10 (1024), except data storage manufacturers abused it and used K to mean x1000 as a form of shrinkflation, so now we have Ki to denote x1024 unambiguously (see https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/faq-glossary-of-terms.403/#KiB).

And equally abused: "b" means bit, not byte (which is "B"), so "mbps" would stand for milli-bits per second not (as might have been intended) mega-bytes per second, and "MBPS" would be just as wrong.
I am mystified as to why that was posted here :confused:.

Or a matter of relevance. Is it not better placed where those who have already shown interest in the subject are most likely to see it ?.

Or a matter of relevance. Is it not better placed where those who have already shown interest in the subject are most likely to see it ?.
Problem with that, as I am often guilty of doing just that, is it causes the original thread to go off-topic. P's off some people and disrupts the thread. ;) Often better as an aside anyway. But you have a point, the original "offender" might not see the post.

Back