Assume v. Presume

Should that be "'phone" anyone?

Or as I'm quoting you (and now quoting myself) I should say "Should that be " "'phone" anyone?"?"
That's bordering on archaeology! See you in about 3 years when you've caught up.

Last edited:
The point under discussion is if a possessive apostrophe should be present at all. I say not as "greens" is a collective singular noun.

Mail on Sunday said:

The ICO [Information Commissioner's Office], which is responsible for the operation of Freedom of Information legislation and data protection laws, has issued a style guide to its full and part-time staff.

It states: 'English has embraced thousands of words from other languages... But some words of foreign origin are so uncommon that they confuse or alienate our readers.'

In particular, the guide warns staff not to use Latin words and phrases... because 'few people have studied Latin'.

Yeah, well, few people have studied Urdu, but I bet they still know the word 'pyjamas'!

1655018643492.png

Oh ffs are we getting as bad as the French with them trying to ban English computer gaming terms? (I think that's what it was).
I'm all for clear language, but banning words - bonkers!

I agree about obscure phrases which might only be heard in legal circles and the like, but "en route", "ad infinitum", "circa" etc? Have they not passed into common use? How can you legislate what reading age you are limiting your text to?

And what about "et cetera"? Not on the list, but surely Latin!

Last edited:
En route is a strange one. I've heard it pronounced a number of ways. On root, on rout, en rout, and en rout being the most obvious.
What would we do without déjà vu?

Someone in the ICO obviously has made a faux pas! They should be declared persona non grata. I give this advice pro bono. No I am not pro Bono!
And if Francis Rossi et al were in a band called "The Existing Condition" would they have been as popular?

Back