Assume v. Presume

Geez. No wonder English is considered hard.

Breech
Breach
Break
Brake
Minute (small) vs. Minute (60 seconds)
Lemonade
Roulade (okay, so that's French)
Reed
Read
Lead
Led
Head

Leicester, Cirencester, Leominster and loads more... oh I thought you were talking about Slough, but maybe not.

Following on from the lists of words with difficult spellings - years ago an Algerian colleague forwarded an email with a rhyme describing how "English is tough stuff". It's long so I've appended it as a text file.

Attachments

• ToughStuff.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 5
A longer version, and some history, is listed at http://ncf.idallen.com/english.html
I didn’t know where this had come from - only that a group of Algerian PhD students were passing it around in Nottingham University in 1991. Back in those days google didn’t exist so I didn’t look it up. When i saw the lists of words (a few posts back) i remembered the old email. Nice to find the origin.

That's not a Grocer's Apostrophe though, at least not by my definition. A Grocer's Apostrophe would be where the possessive has been used as a plural, but the above has used the possessive as the third person present tense.

Careful what you say. Somebody might try and copyright it.
There was also Gopher of course. Not Gordon, but I did work with him/it once.

Interesting discussion, thanks. I too tend towards the pedantic with my written language ('phone anyone?). Now if we can just get people to sort out less/fewer!
Should that be "'phone" anyone?

Or as I'm quoting you (and now quoting myself) I should say "Should that be " "'phone" anyone?"?"

Back