Assume v. Presume

He's behind you!

I think the point maybe that the German was overusing the English word peanut, which is not the German word for peanut. The French will be complaining about le weekend next.:rolleyes:

Okay, I'm confused. I've heard, usually the police, refer to a building or house as a premise (As in ""Nottinghamshire Police confirmed 'a premise is being searched as part of an investigation'"). That doesn't sound right to me, and a quick search of the online dictionaries seems to support that. But premises (sounds right to me) is plural - or is it? Argh!

Premises is plural, but can't be singularised, and a single house/building/property etc. is still referred to as "the premises" not "a premise". The 'woodentops' have that name for a reason. Oink oink.

Why do I keep hearing people pronounce aesthetic wrongly? That th is as in think(in British English and American English), not as I keep hearing t as in tank . I first heard it on "Secrets of the London Underground" on Yesterday where the copresenter keeps saying astetic. I blamed it on the fact she was born in Iceland. But I keep hearing it on adverts now. WTF!

Unfortunately in many languages the connection between the written word and how it is pronounced is not obvious. (Loughborough, anything Welsh, ... ). Surely it would be written down on a script for the adverts.

Surely it would be written down on a script for the adverts.
Yeah, perhaps, but you only have to look at social media to realise the current generation are spelling what they think they heard rather than the actual word.

snowflake generation even view a full stop as passive-agressive,
Oh FFS! Punctuation is important (full stop). How else do you record the end of a sentence? What's happened with various governments and the 3Rs? Are the snowflakes not being taught English?

Oh FFS! Punctuation is important (full stop). How else do you record the end of a sentence? What's happened with various governments and the 3Rs? Are the snowflakes not being taught English?
Rather than demanding the end of a sentence with . you could use ; and give the reader the option to choose if a , is less offensive to them ( surely that is the only reason for having that symbol :))

Lots of things are offensive to me. I just mutter and swear, hopefully under my breath, and move on. How on earth a full stop is offensive I really don't know.

I think it's in the context of messaging, where exchanges are only a few words at a time and a full stop is seen as terminating a conversation.

It terminates a sentence, not a conversation. Don't these people pause when speaking? Is that always the termination of the conversation? Of course not. Why should the written conversation be any different? Bah, humbug! Standards! :)

We have this wokery on TPTV and other minor channels on Freeview. Not because the channels want to but because OFCOM threatens them with fines if they don't. Is there a regulator for theatres that does the same? Obviously it seems that the "luvvies" are against it. Must be "the management" that's in favour then.

From the BBC Weather website:
Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday

Generally dry on Sunday morning. In the afternoon, a few showers, wintry on the hills, will move into the far north of Scotland. Controversy, low pressure will bring strong winds and rain in southern England, and Wales. Monday should turn dry with clearing skies for many; cloudier in the south-east and north-west. Mostly cloudy on Tuesday, with some rain in the north and west.

What's that supposed to be? Conversely??

Perhaps it's a controversial thesis - low pressure brings strong winds and rain. Surely the offending word could be omitted and the paragraph would make more sense.

Back