Assume v. Presume

Also, when did new recordings drop or land, rather than be released or published? Then a track or piece of music is referred to as a "cue". (At least on Scala, I don't know about other radio stations.)

Are you sure that's not just Scala trying to look cool?
First noticed with Mark Kermode (him of film reviews) when playing film music. Since heard other presenters do the same. Could be they're trying to look cool. I find it a little irritating - along with the public information advert about the danger zones around lorries. "Four zones. Front, back and both sides." That'll be all round then. (Yes I do know what they really mean!)

If I remember correctly, doesn't some CD ripping software produce cue files or a list of cues?
All do, or at least that's involved in the process of ripping a CD. An audio CD has no concept of individual tracks, just like an LP it is a continuous track and individual parts of the track are simply separated by periods of silence.

CD players are told where each individual track starts by a short burst of data at the beginning, which provides index points. This is the "cue sheet", essentially just bookmarks. Rippers use the cue sheet to decide where to split the rip into individual tracks (and the cue sheet isn't always reliable).

and the cue sheet isn't always reliable
That explains a lot - like tracks that follow on seamlessly being split so that playback (in Winamp, for example) contains a glitch.

(Don't think the ripper I occasionally use makes the use of cue sheets obvious - I'd have to check)

That explains a lot - like tracks that follow on seamlessly being split so that playback (in Winamp, for example) contains a glitch.
That's always going to be a problem with "tracks" when there's no separation. In a stereo continuous waveform, where do you define the split so that it's at the zero crossing for both waveforms? The result is a step transition, and a glitch. I'm not sure how precise the cue points are anyway.

(Don't think the ripper I occasionally use makes the use of cue sheets obvious - I'd have to check)
If it didn't, it wouldn't know there were any tracks at all!

seamlessly being split so that playback (in Winamp, for example) contains a glitch.
There is a long-standing 'feature' of MP3 that inserts a pause of a second or two between tracks. I have a lot of music ripped from CD albums and this happens in supposedly seamless track changes.

I'm not sure how precise the cue points are anyway.
The frame size is 1/75 of a second. Here's an example of something I did years ago when burning a disc for someone:
Code:
CD_DA
TRACK AUDIO
SILENCE 0:2:0
START 0:2:0
FILE "cd1.wav" 0 38:0:0

TRACK AUDIO
START 0:1:0
FILE "cd1.wav" 38:0:0
The numbers will be minutes, seconds and frames. I fed this .toc file to the burning software and it created a CD as essentially a copy of the WAV with the track marks in the correct place.
There is a long-standing 'feature' of MP3 that inserts a pause of a second or two between tracks
That's just crap software. There is no reason whatsoever that the next file can't be opened/decoded/buffered in advance of the current one finishing for seamless playback.
Of course once you implement lossy data-rate reduction (compression as it's mostly wrongly called), then you are almost bound to get a glitch at a boundary.

Advert on ClassicFM, I forget what for... what I can't get out of my head is the copywriter's use of "spells" as a transitive verb!

Something like:

"Yu-yu spells Y U Y U" rather than "Yu-yu is spelt Y U Y U".

Arrrgggghhhh!!!!!!

'rizz' was announced in the paper as word of the year!

QI posting on X said:
Germany awards an ‘un-word’ of the year, to highlight a derogatory or unpleasant word that reflects the unsavoury morals of the time. Previous winners have been Rentnerschwemme (flood of pensioners), Lügenpresse (liar press) and Peanuts (peanuts).

Do we need something similar here?

Back